Emby for Android TV - UI Elements Squeezed and Cast Display Issue

ardinesh

ardinesh

Hey Emby tribe! 🚀

I'm encountering a bit of a UI quirk in the Emby for Android TV app, and I need your tech-savvy eyes to help me crack this nut. Here's the scoop:

App Version: 2.0.98g
Emby Server Version: 4.8.0.67
Device: Android 7.1.2

The Nitty-Gritty:

On my trusty Android device, the UI elements in the video player are playing a game of hide-and-seek with the right portion of the screen. It's a bit of a squeeze, leaving an awkward gap on the right side. Additionally, the cast display option is doing a disappearing act, with half of it mysteriously hidden below the screen.

Screenshots are attached to visualize the issues (Ignore the black video shown on the screenshot as that's not the issue.).

Extra Tidbit:

I've played detective and checked another device; no such UI shenanigans there. It seems my Android 7.1.2 device is the chosen one for this peculiar show.

If you've got the playbook for decoding this UI puzzle or if you know the magic words to fix it, I'm all ears! 🕵️♂️ Your insights and expertise could turn this tech mystery into a solved case.

Looking forward to your wizardry! 🎩✨

Screenshot 2024-01-10 220946.png

Screenshot 2024-01-10 221049.png

Screenshot 2024-01-10 221012.png

ardinesh

Hi! I have done that already and it's normal regarding the placement of UI elements with that app. But I cannot use the standard app in my setup because of the known issue (no support for audio remuxing).

On 9/11/2020 at 12:01 AM, MBSki said:
  • Option to disable passthrough of DTS, DTS-HD, and TrueHD.  It doesn't remux audio for devices where the audio is not supported, like the ATV app does.  Shield will convert to PCM 2.0 if allowed to passthrough (CBers)

It's a low-end device where the ATV app works smoothly and plays any type of video and audio formats unless standard app which only plays video with aac or mp3 audio codec.

• Thanks 1

Hi.  This isn't a true Android TV device, correct?

The issue will come down to the pixel density that the device is reporting - something there is off.  Does it have any settings for resolution or size or pixel density?

ardinesh

Hi @ebr! Thanks for your insightful response. Yes, it's not a true ATV device. Looking for display settings, I found the HDMI resolution setting which gives two supported lists 480cvbs and 576cvbs, and the second option is selected with another screen scale setting set to 85%.

43 minutes ago, ardinesh said:

Hi @ebr! Thanks for your insightful response. Yes, it's not a true ATV device. Looking for display settings, I found the HDMI resolution setting which gives two supported lists 480cvbs and 576cvbs, and the second option is selected with another screen scale setting set to 85%.

I would play with those settings (especially the scale one) and see if you can make it behave better. 

ardinesh
19 hours ago, ebr said:

I would play with those settings (especially the scale one) and see if you can make it behave better. 

There is no change even after playing with those settings.

The device is not reporting the proper pixel density through the system.  I'm afraid we see this sometimes with these standard Android boxes that try to make themselves work on TVs.  I'm surprised you cannot affect it with those settings though.