New server build in 19" 4u chassi, but what cpu and so on to use

chali

chali

Hello

I'm looking at a new server build, today I'm running an Opteron 6386se cpu, it has handled the load just fine even with many streaming at the same time. (haven't found where the limit is) my thought is to switch to a used amd epyc cpu. eg 7402p or 7552 to reduce power consumption a bit when no one is using the server. the current one is constantly high as it didn't work well every time I tried to enable power saving modes (it never came out of it which made the server very slow)
is this a sensible choice for the below usage?
the number of simultaneously users is hard to say, it can be 1 to over 50 at some point per year, the media that plays from the server is already converted to the appropriate format, which means that there are usually not very many people who transcode. the server will also be used for wingftp software. I used Ubuntu server which this runs on.

I also have an old nvida 1060 6gig laying around that I can throw into the server if that helps?

the goal is that it should draw as little power as possible, especially when it is not in use, and it should still handle the load, I use ipmi to start and install the server so it is a must.

I have bought a server cabinet and a server chassis for this, the chassis supports Atx format.

if the goal is to lower power consumption, should I also replace my wd disks with wd ssd? the server will run 8 hotswap disks.

PS: sorry for the bad grammar