External Access again

Roy sloane

Roy sloane

Hi over the weekend my broadband provider was again affected by a power cut (BT), now I am trying to access emby remotely and I cant get access even though I put a DDNS address on emby previously. When I try to gain access to the address it wont let me in so i'm assuming my external IP has changed again. 

I was wondering if I have done the DDNS add correctly but as I cant access remotely I cant find my external IP. I can access my DS220+ remotely but not emby. I am bamboozled anyone any ideas?

Roy sloane

Thanks , I'm at work at the moment so cant check whats my IP. 

I set up a DDNS on Emby but I dont know if I have to do anything on my DS220+?

please forgive me as I'm not very technical. 

Spaceboy

so you have set up DDNS on your synology? emby on its own cannot update ddns i do not believe. my syno can do this so i would expect any more modern syno to also be able to. but my ddns is updated on my router (pfsense)

Roy sloane

yes I have set up DDNS on my DS220+ do I have to do something on my router?

Spaceboy

nope - they are both capable of updating your ddns. i just prefer my router as i know it will always be on. so checking that the DDNS is working on your syno and showing the same external IP as you get from whatismyipaddress.com should be your first steps

Roy sloane

Good morning all, I dont know if I have done this right as I still dont have WAN access. Does anyone have a step by step guide (not to tech) that can help me please? I know I'm a pain but any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance 

Spaceboy

not really because no-one knows what you have done and there are many ways to do this

have you purchased an external url?

what have you configured so far and where? screenshots would be helpful (obviously obscuring any sensitive details - url and public ip)

Roy sloane

To be honest I havent done anything as I dont know what to do. I havent purchased a URL as I didnt think i needed to 

Spaceboy

ok... so you don't now, or previously, have this working at all?

start at the begininng. are you able to access your server using just the external ip address and whatever port you have forwarded through your firewall?

Roy sloane

I have managed to sort it by putting a pinhole through the router. it works for now until BT change my IP address again!!! 

• Thanks 1