Emby 4.1.1 on TCL TV 7104X

Sawill25

Sawill25

From what I have read the Roku supports MPEGTS and HLS (maybe this is for the Roku streaming devices and not the Roku TV’s, just realized there may be a difference when writing the post.) I get Direct Streams on my Desktop, iPad, iPhone, Roku Ultra.  But on the Roku TV’s I get the message that the stream is being converted to a compatible container MPEGTS—> HLS, Video 720p H264 —> Direct Play. Why would the video be transcoded if Roku can support the original stream? This is on the local network that Emby is on so no issues with bandwidth that I can think of. 

The video seems to stop multiple times and has to reload and I see a message with dropped frames which I am assuming is due to the transcoding. I run Emby in ESXi 6.0 on a Dell R710. I know it’s pretty ancient these days.  I just purchased a Quadro P400 to move the transcoding off the CPU.  I don’t need anything super fancy at the moment.  Eventually I will probably switch to a desktop with a newer Intel processor with quick sync.

IMG_0652.jpeg

pwhodges
5 hours ago, Sawill25 said:

Why would the video be transcoded if Roku can support the original stream?

The video is not being transcoded - that's what "direct play" means.  Only the container is being changed, which is a trivial operation in computing terms.  The problem is something else, and seeing the server log would help discern what it is.

Paul

While the Roku supports the TS container directly it is not without compromise. The Roku doesn't support scrubbing of streams inside the TS container. You would not be able to rewind, or fast-forward or move the progress to a new position. We change the TS into an m3u8 manifest. Then the m3u8 is given to the Roku instead. This is how HLS streaming works. The streams themselves are both direct played. You can then seek the stream to any position and resume playback at that point. This is why we repackage the TS container using HLS. If this isn't LiveTV and instead a recording then to get direct play you can convert the TS into an MKV. This would allow the container to become seekable and then direct play too.