Default device or name the device?

ginjaninja

ginjaninja
On 5/7/2019 at 5:08 PM, Angelblue05 said:

Yes, it will remember your choice.

Change the player, select the player from the list. Then that will be the player your request will always be sent to, unless you say “to another player” at the end of your command.

i cant get the device functionality to work or i have miaundestood.

are the device names as per alexa device names or as per emby device names? (edit just worked out that emby device names are supported at least)

i open the skill on Alexa echo dot ...alexa name bedroom

"change the player"

Alexa responds ..."set default device to amazon echo, Alexa.."

it doesnt use the name bedroon (if its confirming the bedroom alexa echo dot device is now the current device)  and it doesnt list available devices..

(edit doh....it is using emby device names, once i renamed the Alexa device in Emby it announced the bedroom device name...apologies...)

can you open mbhome on an alexa ..and then issue a voice command to set the default device to fire stick bedroom?

i can append 'on fire stick bedroom' to other commands but i want to issue voice play commands at alexa and for the firestick bedroom to be the target by default as the more tokens in the command the more unreliable and fiddly it is..

"change the player [to] fire stick bedroom"

responds

"no media found"

is this telling me the command was successful but there is no current media playback  session on the device or is this an error or something else...am i issuing an invalid command?

ty for advice

edit so making progress but still cant change the default player by a voice command..any ideas please? @ginjaninja

hatharry

If Alexa is unable to understand the name of your device try the alternative way.

To set your fire stick as the default player.

Open the Emby app on the fire stick.

Ask Alexa to "change the player".

Alexa should respond with "set default device to amazon echo, Alexa".

Say "NO".

Alexa should respond with "set default device to ...".

If this device is your fire stick say "YES" if not say "NO"

The device should now be the default.

If the device is offline Alexa will set itself to the default player until the default device is back online

ginjaninja
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, hatharry said:

Thanks @hatharry that worked.

Its very helpful Alexa lists devices so you can choose yes or no....didnt know that was possible.

Alexa devices do not appear in announced list (although they can be selected as default device by being at that Alexa device)

Even though the Alexa history shows Alexa understands the device names perfectly (Exact string match with Emby Device Name) i am not able to set the default device outside this list method.

edit hold fire....its hearing the alexa names perfectly (but they are not choosable as per above) but not the devices in list perfectly....let me rename and try again...

edit

OK so i think the challenge might be the device "Fire Stick Bedroom" is enumerated in the list function as "Fire Stick Bedroom Android TV", likewise "Theatre Man Cave" is enumerated as "Theatre Man Cave Emby Theatre"....ie the client type is appended at the end of the name.

Also wherever Emby appears in the device name then you are onto a looser as Alexa hears me as "m. b." or "m. d" (not 'Emby')..so if you are expected to include the client type in the device name then it will be difficult to get a string match.

Does the Skill expect "Device name Client Type" in the change player command (when not using list method) or just "Device Name".

image.png.13f97a792b53a3ecb2aa68deff2757b5.png

Edited by ginjaninja

hatharry
On 1/9/2024 at 12:12 AM, ginjaninja said:

Does the Skill expect "Device name Client Type" in the change player command (when not using list method) or just "Device Name".

image.png.13f97a792b53a3ecb2aa68deff2757b5.png

The skill expects the Device Name or parts of the Name e.g. "Man cave"