HEVC not loading .ASS subtitles, but H264 has no issues.

Nyhus
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

Nyhus

Hello!
It seems from my extremely little testing that HEVC format direct playing on my Samsung Q70R TV does not load .ASS subtitles. I started questioning it when all my x264 had no issues, so I decided to convert my HEVC file to x264 and immediately it loaded the subtitles without issues.

Attaching logs for both, ffmpeg-remux is the x265/HEVC format, it seems to me that it loads the subtitles, but for some reason it does not visually show them while watching the show.
Whereas ffmpeg-transcode file is the x264 variant, where i have no issues. (For clarification I've attempted to force transcode on the HEVC file as well, but still subtitles refuse to show.

I fail to understand why this happens, so I am curious what you guys think?
Also Emby Theater on my PC has no issues with either file.

For the sake of clarity I've also attached a ffmpeg-transcode file of the HEVC.
It seems like libass is not initating/starting?

ffmpeg-transcode-4a5a7a13-9478-4f9b-9bc4-e03d5acb5039_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-84c0cd6d-9b9f-423e-819e-ed7b91e9d02d_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-9cf8f763-86bd-4698-9bd8-5c1c9ecb15e1_1.txt

Edited by Nyhus

• Solution
SamES

I think that was a bug in 1.6.4 that was fixed in later versions.  You can you test the latest USB Beta installation to confirm, or if you're not in a hurry you can wait for the next version in the app store which hopefully won't be too far away.

Nyhus

I see, I will update using the USB version later today and give it a test, will update here if it's works :)

• Like 1

Nyhus

That did seem to solve my issue! Thanks. I am noticing it takes some time before the .ASS subtitles end up showing, but I suspect that is just because they are .ASS subtitles?

• Like 1

SamES

It depends on the ass language and your tv year/model. Some foreign subs need to be loaded on demand which can take up to 40 seconds depending on your TV model. 

happytonakai

Hi, Nyhus!

I want to know if your emby works well in displaying .ass subtitles without transcoding?

SamES
On 15/01/2024 at 16:04, happytonakai said:

Hi, Nyhus!

I want to know if your emby works well in displaying .ass subtitles without transcoding?

Yes, it does.

happytonakai
On 1/16/2024 at 7:46 PM, SamES said:

Yes, it does.

Thank you for replying. I love it!

• Thanks 2