Per Library Parental Controls

PuffyToesToo

PuffyToesToo

In setting up a user account for a child I've employed the parental controls functions on restricted library access. The issue is that they cannot see a great deal of the children's movies because of the ratings systems of differing countries etc, whereas a few TV Shows are probably inappropriate but pass through. Could you consider implementing a per library access by rating for parental controls instead of a blanket rating for the user? Thank you.

• Like 1

jaycedk

This might help you.

With this new plugin from @TeamB its possible to keep those Ratings in check.

• Thanks 1

Hi.  I'm failing to see how scoping this to a library would solve your issue... Can you explain?

• Thanks 1

PuffyToesToo
10 hours ago, jaycedk said:

This might help you.

With this new plugin from @TeamB its possible to keep those Ratings in check.

I'll go check this out, thank you.

PuffyToesToo
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I'm failing to see how scoping this to a library would solve your issue... Can you explain?

Sure, sorry if it wasn't clear. I'll try to keep it brief.

I created a user account for a 2 year old. I then limited the libraries they have access to. Within those libraries, I instituted parental controls via their profile to only be able to see G rated items. They have access to Children's TV Library, Family Movies, and Animated Shows Library. Some of the shows or movies that are actually rated higher than G are things they've watched before and are OK. The problem is that with those 3 libraries, all kids shows are fine, but not all movies are fine even with the same rating. Being able to stipulate a different parental control per library could solve this without my having to tag everything and use tags, as that is a lot of work.  Of course, any way to achieve this in an easier fashion is more than welcome. Thank you so much.

12 hours ago, PuffyToesToo said:

Being able to stipulate a different parental control per library could solve this

That's the part I'm missing.  The only way that would help you is if the items you think don't rate properly happen to all be in a specific library.  I don't really see that as all that common...

For a 2 year old, I would either use a strategy of restricting everything except a certain tag or use the file system folder-based access control (which could have the added benefit of keeping a bunch of baby Einstein videos out of your home screen). 

We already have so many ways to control content visibility that I hesitate to make it even more complex.

• Thanks 1

PuffyToesToo
1 hour ago, ebr said:

We already have so many ways to control content visibility that I hesitate to make it even more complex.

As you can see, I already employ great use of folder structure to achieve the control and effect I wish to have for users. (see first SS). My thinking was to be able to create a rating limit via that section.

I was hoping it might be possible to specify the rating of each user by each specific library, as opposed to the one shown in the second SS. However, i completely understand if that would be too big an undertaking, and thank you for reading/replying. Bag to the tag bin I go. 🫠

Screenshot 2024-01-07 120801.png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 1210162.png