HLSProxy blocking my M3U tuner access

Nostradamus1973
Go to solution Solved by Nostradamus1973,

Nostradamus1973

Good morning Everyone,

So, looks like this same mess has landed on my doorstep.

I can view the m3u file from the very PC hosting emby-server within my LAN, I can ping the PC(hosting m3u, running hls-proxy) and do all the usual stuff to access my m3u on my own LAN, and yes, even download it, BUT, when it comes to adding the m3u the same way I've been doing for years, nothing, and this error: "There was an error saving the TV provider. Please ensure it is accessible and try again."

I've shut down everything for 10 minutes and started everything from scratch, same thing. The only way I could circumvent this was to implement the m3u file instead of the link, which is NOT what I'd like to use because it's a complete pain in the buns to edit and keep current.

Logs are attached.

Incidentally, the VERY same thing happened to Jellyfin at the same time. If you would like those logs too, I can provide those as well given they are blood-brother's and understandable by the emby team.

Thank you and have a nice day.

nostradamus.embyserver.1-04-24.txt

Edited by Nostradamus1973
Missing some details

Hi.  The access is being refused by the provider.  Most likely based on something like the user-agent.  Try modifying that in Emby to look like whatever is sent from your browser.

MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Forbidden

Chillout

You can try using a VPN and see if that helps.  Sometimes ISP's blocks IPTV providers... unfortunately some VPN IP addresses are banned by IPTV provider so it can take cycling a few different IP addresses for it to work sometimes.   Definitely complicates troubleshooting....

If your ISP is the problem, you can ask the IPTV provider what VPN service they recommend.

8 hours ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

Good morning Everyone,

So, looks like this same mess has landed on my doorstep.

I can view the m3u file from the very PC hosting emby-server within my LAN, I can ping the PC(hosting m3u, running hls-proxy) and do all the usual stuff to access my m3u on my own LAN, and yes, even download it, BUT, when it comes to adding the m3u the same way I've been doing for years, nothing, and this error: "There was an error saving the TV provider. Please ensure it is accessible and try again."

I've shut down everything for 10 minutes and started everything from scratch, same thing. The only way I could circumvent this was to implement the m3u file instead of the link, which is NOT what I'd like to use because it's a complete pain in the buns to edit and keep current.

Logs are attached.

Incidentally, the VERY same thing happened to Jellyfin at the same time. If you would like those logs too, I can provide those as well given they are blood-brother's and understandable by the emby team.

Thank you and have a nice day.

nostradamus.embyserver.1-04-24.txt 65.87 kB · 1 download

Also rollback back from 4.8 to 4.7 is not supported. You could be experiencing any number of issues due to that. If you're going to do that then I would make a fresh start by deleting /var/lib/emby

Nostradamus1973

Hello Everyone, thx for getting back to me.

@Luke When I downgraded I deleted 4.8 fully, installed 4.7 and restored from backup, I thought I did correctly, it's quite possible I didn't, however, that was months ago, this problem is a day old. I think @ebris onto something given that JF can't see the PC located on my LAN either. I'm using hls-proxy on another PC located on my LAN, which is connected to an NordVPN(Rome) pulling in the freely available state media tv Rai/Mediaset; hls-proxy has no problem grabbing the guide and m3u which I've verified via VLC more than I'd like to admit.

The Kubuntu Machine running emby-server grabs the m3u from that other PC(running another instance of Kubuntu) on my LAN normally without any issues, now I get the stated error. I can ping the PC that has hls-proxy, I can even slap the m3u in a browser and access the  link on the same kubuntu machine running emby-server; it pulls the link via that route, but, emby-server running on the same Kubuntu machine can't.

So, the second Kubuntu instance running on my network running hls-proxy within my LAN is the provider. I can access the m3u every-which-way-from-Sunday, however, Emby or JF cannot.

I'm totally lost on this one.  I think I'm going to change the IP address of the hls-proxy machine and take a shot in the dark. I'm not really sure why the proxy machine is visible in every way I know how to check, and not Emby.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thx again :)

When I downgraded I deleted 4.8 fully, installed 4.7 and restored from backup,

That's not enough. It needs to be a fresh start. Then you can restore from a 4.7 backup.

Nostradamus1973
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's not enough. It needs to be a fresh start. Then you can restore from a 4.7 backup.

So, purge emby-server, install, and restore. Correct?

I was talking about this on another thread here(sorta), since 4.8 is Crowning as we speak, if I wait till 4.8 comes out(pun intended), can I just do the upgrade straight up without repercussions? Or, same thing.... purge, install, restore?

Thx @Luke

Well I understand that you might not like that answer but it's still my job to give that recommendation. Otherwise when you have problems, if we can't find an obvious answer then we might not want to dump too much time into troubleshooting due to the rolling back and forth creating unknown variables that we can't predict.

can I just do the upgrade straight up without repercussions? Or, same thing.... purge, install, restore?

This sort of falls into the same bucket. On the one hand you might be OK, but on the other hand, nobody from the Emby team is testing going from 4.7 to 4.8 back to 4.7 then back to 4.8. So because we're not testing that, the answer is we just don't know.

Nostradamus1973

Thx @Lukefor explaining that, I understand completely. What do you recommend? A fresh install of 4.8 beta and transition into the final release whenever it comes out?

Or, stay with a fresh install of 4.7 even though 4.8 is nearing it's debut?

I think that's just up to you and which release channel you want to be on.

Nostradamus1973

Thx @LukeI've been wanting a good reason to jump into 4.8, looks like I have it.

I'll check back in the AM once I've purged/installed/restored.

Have a great night

• Thanks 1

Nostradamus1973

Good morning,

4.8 Beta seems to be running nicely, however, the problem still persists. I'm going to head over to hls-proxy's telegram and see if they have any answers; even though the latest version of hls-proxy 8.4.8 Stable was released last year, maybe this is something they've experienced before.

Thx, I'll keep everyone updated :)

• Solution
Nostradamus1973

Okay, so, I have the scoop on my situation.

So, @ebrwas right, hls-proxy was preventing Emby/JF from getting in,  however, it was doing so because it was set to. So, basically I'm a victim-of-my-own-creation, somehow I unchecked some things, I have no idea how, why, or if I was even awake when doing so. lol

There are two ways this can be fixed:

The first, create a user(under clients) and assign a password, then create a playlist with a token, this can be done for single connections.

The second, and my favorite, for multiple connections one needs to make sure isAllowUsersWithAnyToken & isRestreamer is checked off, that way Emby or JF can have at it without incidence simultaneously.

I would also like to thank @Lukefor getting me out of my 4.8 beta situation(my creation as well).
I guess this can be a cautionary tale, but, personally I think someone may run into this in the future, and if they do, this may help; if not, the guys over at hls-proxy were super helpful and nice too via Telegram. They (like the emby devs) are proud of their work and like seeing people enjoying their creation, so, I'm sure they'd be happy to help going forward.

Have a great day.

• Thanks 1