Do SSDs tolerate repeated video scrubbing better than spinning rust?

Neuro5i5
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

Neuro5i5

So, I have an autistic child that loves to pause and repeat sections of movies over and over. I'm talking scrubbing video scene in a 10-30 second window tens, to hundreds of times a day. The drive I had the kids movies on is currently dying (I'm backing it up as I type) and I need to add storage anyway. So, I was wondering, would an SSD hold up better to this type of abuse? I plan to segregate his most used media onto a separate drive regardless. The drive in question was a 4TB Seagate and I've had more failures percentage-wise with Seagate than any other manufacturer, so I can't rule that out as being a factor either. 

Edit: I wasn't sure if this should go in the Hardware forum or not since it is a server based question and deals with a behavior/usage of the server. If it needs to be moved, please do.

Edited by Neuro5i5

Hello Neuro5i5,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi, I don't know about tolerate but it will certainly be faster.

• Solution
rbjtech
On 05/01/2024 at 18:27, Neuro5i5 said:

So, I have an autistic child that loves to pause and repeat sections of movies over and over. I'm talking scrubbing video scene in a 10-30 second window tens, to hundreds of times a day. The drive I had the kids movies on is currently dying (I'm backing it up as I type) and I need to add storage anyway. So, I was wondering, would an SSD hold up better to this type of abuse? I plan to segregate his most used media onto a separate drive regardless. The drive in question was a 4TB Seagate and I've had more failures percentage-wise with Seagate than any other manufacturer, so I can't rule that out as being a factor either. 

Edit: I wasn't sure if this should go in the Hardware forum or not since it is a server based question and deals with a behavior/usage of the server. If it needs to be moved, please do.

In summary yes - reading from an SSD is not detremental to it's lifetime - writing to an SSD is (although this is well over dramatised, you would need to write consistently for many many years before you'd start to notice capacity being reduced - ie not something to really worry about).

That being said - in my experience over many years and manufacturers of HDD's - Seagate are the worst for reliability - All my failures bar one have been on Seagate drives - I avoid them at all costs now.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

That being said - in my experience over many years and manufacturers of HDD's - Seagate are the worst for reliability - All my failures bar one have been on Seagate drives - I avoid them at all costs now.

I concur.  They all have issues from time to time but I've had much better experience with WD.

• Agree 2

MagicDoubleM

On Windows you could use a software like PrimoCache and/or a RAMdisk (Primo recommended here too). If it's always the same movie I'd put them directly on the RAMdisk, some programs let you save them to images when you reboot. If it's a mass of movies there's that hack of enforcing emby to transcode and using the RAMdisk as target for temporary files and disabling the transcode throttling.

• Thanks 1