What does DV (limited) mean?

ItayT
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

ItayT

Hi

I'm trying to figure out if my TV displays what it should be displaying which is 10bit HDR

When looking at the stats, it says DV(limited) which I'm assuming is Dolby Vision but not sure what limited means. In fact, I don't think this specific media supports DV, it just supports 10bit HDR.

image.png.de0da251e28009162d569a0068940982.png

Judging by what the server shows it looks like it's fine but I just wanna make sure

image.png.b1f2629abe66b9585787047958f88ec5.png

• Solution

Hi.  That is showing what your display supports - regardless of the current media.  The limited means that only certain profiles of DolbyVision are supported (probably just 5 which is the streaming protocol).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ItayT
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That is showing what your display supports - regardless of the current media.  The limited means that only certain profiles of DolbyVision are supported (probably just 5 which is the streaming protocol).

Thank you! So judging by the second screenshot since it's direct play, the 10bit hdr playback works as intended? Otherwise it would transcode, right?

Edited by ItayT

2 minutes ago, ItayT said:

Thank you! So judging by the second screenshot since it's direct play, the 10bit hdr playback works as intended? Otherwise it would transcode, right?

Correct.

• Like 1

ItayT
On 1/5/2024 at 6:10 PM, ebr said:

Hi, sorry for bumping this thread but regarding DV - is there a way to know exactly which profiles are supported? I have a bluray rip with DV profile 7 and HDR10 fallback, I'm playing it directly in the built in Google TV of my Sony Bravia A80K.

When playing the movie, the picture settings in my TV let me choose between DV Dark & DV Bright which makes it look like it works with DV profile 7 and does not utilize the HDR10 fallback however the fact that Emby says DV limited confuses me

Edited by ItayT

5 hours ago, ItayT said:

Hi, sorry for bumping this thread but regarding DV - is there a way to know exactly which profiles are supported? I have a bluray rip with DV profile 7 and HDR10 fallback, I'm playing it directly in the built in Google TV of my Sony Bravia A80K.

When playing the movie, the picture settings in my TV let me choose between DV Dark & DV Bright which makes it look like it works with DV profile 7 and does not utilize the HDR10 fallback however the fact that Emby says DV limited confuses me

Hi.  If it is working for you then it is supported.

• Like 1

rbjtech

I don't think it's related to the profiles - I think it's likely related to the fact that certain Sony Bravia TV's (AF8 etc) cannot actual process Dolby Vision properly - and thus the general advice is to actually turn it off as it looks terrible... 🙄

You'll need to do some Googling to find the details, I don't have a Sony TV myself - but I believe this is what it means by 'limited' - as there is no such thing as 'Dolby Vision (limited)' - it should display all profiles as listed in the DV specification - DV5/DV7 and DV8 are the common ones - but Sony are simply reporting this 'limited' back to Emby - probably to cover themselves... 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

FrostByte

There are some Sony TVs which only support DV profile 5/8 when streamed.  This is why there are tools to convert the DV7 RPU to DV8.

The reason behind this is because DV7 is only present on UHD discs technically would require you to buy a UHD player.

• Like 1