Western Digital UK 20TB £299

ginjaninja

TMCsw

Be aware these drives do NOT support SLEEP.

From WD support in regards to sleep mode:

...I want to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. It is important to note that enabling this particular feature is not supported on both Windows and Linux platforms. Unfortunately, there is no software available to enable the feature you are referring to... ....WD Elements Drives do not support any software for sleep mode alteration.

Note: I like to keep my data disks spinning 24/7 for performance and longevity, but I don’t want my backup drives spinning constantly when they only need to spin-up for backups (once a week for me).

ginjaninja
On 05/01/2024 at 22:34, TMCsw said:

Be aware these drives do NOT support SLEEP.

From WD support in regards to sleep mode:

Note: I like to keep my data disks spinning 24/7 for performance and longevity, but I don’t want my backup drives spinning constantly when they only need to spin-up for backups (once a week for me).

good to know...i just plug in and backup and unplug and take offsite.....maybe sleep mode is supported by the disk if you removed (shucked) from container?

Spaceboy

if you are going to shuck them a reminder that you can't power these disks direct from a sata connection, you need a molex/sata adaptor

ginjaninja
16 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

if you are going to shuck them a reminder that you can't power these disks direct from a sata connection, you need a molex/sata adaptor

Thanks. This WD model  in particular is known to need an adapter? or are you warning in general an adapter may be required?

Spaceboy

any shucked WD, but i just put my own 20TB disk in my PC this weekend and thankfully i had a spare molex to sata converter.

in my synology though, its not required.

basically if you shuck a WD disk and its not detected by your PC its because you need the molex to sata converter

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

you can also disable/cover the 3.3v detection pin with tape etc - which achives the same result - but an adapter is certainly easier .. :)

• Like 2