Interface problem with posters and resume playback

KTRBG83

KTRBG83

Happy New Year Everyone for more happiness more prosperous 2024.

When I got my Synology, the very first thing friends recommended me was to get the so "famous Plex". I did but always something was kind of missing. From my research for better options on the market I found Emby and I am grateful I did that. Guys, I will be honest, me and my Family we love it. One of the main reason was cross platform and devices compatibility. We love, that we can watch something on the tablet, then continue the same video on the phone or the TV. To show our appreciation I purchased Emby Premiere without hesitation. Everything is great apart of few small issues, for which I will need your help.

The main player in our living room is Zidoo Z20 Pro with Android TV 11. The player is great and it has good poster wall and interface for the movies and shows. Also the Zidoo video player app is also very good playing all formats on the market (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision). The biggest downside is that we can`t continue watching on that player from another device as is stand alone player. Therefore I installed Emby for Android TV on it. Unfortunately for some reason when I open the poster wall there is a vertical gap between the movie posters. I can change the size of the posters, but the gap still remains. Browsing through the library is "half" of the whole experience. I have side loaded the Emby for android to see if there is difference. I was surprised, because on the Android only version (not TV) there is no Gap. Also there is no gap on the Windows app on my laptop.
image.thumb.jpeg.2b7bb4a565f73031c392063282ff9f33.jpeg
For some strange reason even with the both apps on the Zidoo Z20 Pro, none of the files would start. It goes with the emby Player interface and black screen. I am not concerned about that, because We would like to use the Zidoo video player (as external player) with Emby. I have selected with the both apps to use the native Zidoo video player and they work as charm. I know what probably everyone would say to use the regular Android app because of the poster wall.
To be honest we prefer the Android TV version because is more smooth and intuitive for the remote control and navigation. Also the "Resume" function with Android TV app is working with the native Zidoo video player app. Unfortunately the regular Android app (despite is great poster wall) the "Resume" function is not working withthe Zidoo video player.
image.thumb.jpeg.efe4beec092db8511655348907416b66.jpeg
I understand that when is about "External Video Player" is difficult to make emby to communicate with it and to receive valid information about your progress with the movie. "Resume" function for our family is quite important and that`s why we prefer to use Emby for Android TV.
Is there any way how I can fix that very unpleasant vertical gap between the posters?
I looked everywhere in the settings, but did not find anything.
I changed different resolution on the screen, but no change. Changed the DPI and the resolution of each movie poster, again no change.
Please can someone to help me out with fixing that gap between the posters?

As I mentioned the "Resume" function is working with the TV version, but with minor "glitch" 
The functionality of the Play and Resume buttons is switched.
When I press on the Resume button the movie starts from the beginning. And when I press the Play button, the movie continues from the position was stopped.
image.thumb.jpeg.7554408077097911181b816456ce42c3.jpeg
We are getting use to that reverse functions, but I would really appreciate if there is something can be done the Resume function to work correctly with the "external" Zidoo video player app.

And the third inquiry I have, is about the detailed Movie page. (when an individual movie is open).
We really love the look on the Windows app! Very nice symmetrical layout with big poster.
Unfortunately on the both Android apps the posters are very small and obviously blurry.
 image.thumb.jpeg.c29732b43fcf4fde75eb4e95b4600eae.jpeg

Is there any way, I can make them Big, like on the Windows app? If not, is it possible this to be added on next update please?

I have also tested the both android apps on Zidoo Z10 Pro and H96 Android box. The results was absolutely the same. 
We really like the the Zidoo Z20 Pro player and we don`t want to replace it with Nvidia Shield, as I believe it deliver much more in many aspects and is better player overall (from my tests)
I would really appreciate any assistance regarding the unpleasant gap between the posters and the resume function.
Thank you.

Edited by KTRBG83

And the third inquiry I have, is about the detailed Movie page. (when an individual movie is open).
We really love the look on the Windows app! Very nice symmetrical layout with big poster.
Unfortunately on the both Android apps the posters are very small and obviously blurry.

Hi, it appears you have the windows app set to desktop display mode and the regular android app set to TV display mode. That's the reason for the different layouts between the two.

But I wouldn't change the display mode just to try and influence the poster. I would set the display mode based on how you're actually using the app. If your primary input method is a mouse, then I would choose desktop. If it's a remote control, then TV.

KTRBG83
38 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, it appears you have the windows app set to desktop display mode and the regular android app set to TV display mode. That's the reason for the different layouts between the two.

But I wouldn't change the display mode just to try and influence the poster. I would set the display mode based on how you're actually using the app. If your primary input method is a mouse, then I would choose desktop. If it's a remote control, then TV.

Hi Luke and thank you for the prompt response. Unfortunately I don't have at all the option "Display Mode" on the both android apps. It is totally missing (please see attached photo) . So I can't change it even if I want. 

What about the first two inquiries about the gap on the poster wall and the "resume" function?  Can you assist with them please? Thank you very much.

20240104_020120.jpg

Right it’s hidden from known TV devices. It’s really just meant for devices that could be multi purpose.

What is your primary input method?

KTRBG83

I am sorry, not sure what exactly do you mean. ?

The Zidoo Z20 Pro is connected to my Denon X6400H (for pass through) and then the Denon is connected to my TV.

Right I already knew the answer to the question. You’re using a remote which means you wouldn’t want to change ID from TV display mode anyway. 
so what you really need is an option for a bigger poster, but even that’s not going to work very well due to the larger font size.

KTRBG83

Yes, I use the remote with the Zidoo.

So if I want bigger poster like on the windows, we have to switch the display mode to "Desktop"

This of course if somehow we "unhide" the Display Mode option 

So my remote will not work with Desktop mode?

2 hours ago, KTRBG83 said:

Yes, I use the remote with the Zidoo.

So if I want bigger poster like on the windows, we have to switch the display mode to "Desktop"

This of course if somehow we "unhide" the Display Mode option 

So my remote will not work with Desktop mode?

It's not going to work well. When you set the display mode to TV or desktop, the entire layout is adjusted and optimized for that use case. The desktop layout isn't really made for use with a remote control.

KTRBG83
2 hours ago, Luke said:

It's not going to work well. When you set the display mode to TV or desktop, the entire layout is adjusted and optimized for that use case. The desktop layout isn't really made for use with a remote control.

Thank you Luke,

Technically we have a mixed use with the Zidoo player.

I have also a mouse and portable keyboard connected. 

I am more than happy to try to use the mouse, if we can have nicer interface (for us)

Can you please tell me how to unhide the Display Mode option? 

Thank you

Hi.  What image size have you chosen in that view in the Android TV app?  My display doesn't look like that with the image size set to "Auto".

Regarding resume, this should answer your prayers: 

Now you can just use the standard Emby android app, right?

KTRBG83
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What image size have you chosen in that view in the Android TV app?  My display doesn't look like that with the image size set to "Auto".

Hi ebr

I have tried all the existing options (sizes including "auto),  but the result was the same (with the gap).

Thank you for your attention. 

20240104_231310.jpg

KTRBG83
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Regarding resume, this should answer your prayers: 

Now you can just use the standard Emby android app, right?

Luke,

You guys are top! Honestly...I really really love emby and the support team. Amazing adequate quick response 👏 

I am very happy that I got emby Premiere to support you guys. Well deserved! 

With the new version 3.3.58 the problem with the Resume with the external Zidoo native video player is now sorted (please see the screenshot below)

The poster wall on the regular android app was looking great in the first place.

It looks like I will use the regular android app on my Zidoo Z20 Pro 

Thank you very much Luke!

20240104_224056.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
maltice

A bit late to the party but I am interested in a Zidoo player (mostly for Dolby Vision and refresh rate switching).  Based on what I'm seeing in the forums, it is possible to run the Emby app on one of the newer Zidoo players and tell Emby to use the native player, correct?  It will then do auto refresh rate swithing and this thread is saying that other issues such as resume playing and subtitles also work when using that player?

Super curious!  Thanks!

-malt

KTRBG83

It's never late for the movie party 😁

I have Zidoo Z20 Pro. The new line of Zidoo players still have some bugs and many owners are unhappy (me included). They will be fixed in time for sure. It was the same with the previous generation.

Dolby Vision and Frame switching work like charm. I love Emby and use it with the Z20 Pro. Luke was amazing and helped with the " resume" when using the native zidoo video player. Subtitles work for me also.

I emby you can choose the audio stream and the Subtitles (if you have more than one) before starting the movie.

This will not work with the native player. But when you start the movie you can change the audio language with 1 button. 

Emby poster wall is smoother then the Zidoo one. Personally I am happy with Zidoo + Emby

maltice

Appreciate the response!  I will def pick one up and give it a whirl..  Been using the Shield (which works great) but wanted to get something that does the higher end 4k DV processing for the local library.  Thanks again!

maltice

Quick follow-up on this thread..  I got my hands on a Zidoo z9x and it is dang gorgeous...   I am running into same problem as this thread with the big gap between posters on the Android TV App.  For some reason, when I try to install the arm version of the standard android app, it doesn't install (it should be the arm64 one, right)?

Thanks!

maltice

Well, I attempted to install the arm64 version of the standard app (emby-android-google-arm64-v8a-release.apk) but it kept timing out (it eventually said 'App Installed' but then the app was nowhere to be found and the UI showed that it wasn't installed). I then reinstalled the Android TV app and that worked fine...  So then, I thought...  well, let me try the arm64 one again.. so I uninstalled the Android TV app and then tried the arm64 apk again; but same thing. it ultimately timed out and said 'app installed' even though it was not.  I decided to copy the the arm7 apk onto the usb drive (although technically [at this point] both the arm64 and the arm7 versions of the app were on the usb).  I tried to reinstall again (but this time I clicked on the arm7 version)..  it installed and said that it was installed (the UI on the z9x at this point said the arm7 and the arm8 version were installed [I don't know why though]).

Long story short....  I was under the impression that the arm64 version of the apk would be appropriate for the processor (it should accept arm8 instructions, right? [i.e. when I was consulting the oracle about the processor on this thing it said it supported the 'ARMv8.2-A 64-bit instruction set') but in the end it seems like the arm7 version (emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk) being on the usb allowed me to install the apk.  

Happy to provide some additional detail or logs..  but I chalked it up to assuming I did something incorrectly (i.e. I didn't understand enough about arm processors or something).  Whatchya think?

p.s. fwiw, I like the Android TV app better but the poster wall gap thing just wasn't doing it for me.

Edited by maltice

1 hour ago, maltice said:

but the poster wall gap thing just wasn't doing it for me

That's got to be some sort of setting on the device that is reporting an incorrect pixel density or something...

maltice

Hmm.....  I am running the UI in 2160p. Maybe I can mess around with some of the resolution settings and see if it fixes the gap. Will post back here if so (might not be for a week or two though as I am off on vacation starting tomorrow!).

KTRBG83
10 minutes ago, maltice said:

Hmm.....  I am running the UI in 2160p. Maybe I can mess around with some of the resolution settings and see if it fixes the gap. Will post back here if so (might not be for a week or two though as I am off on vacation starting tomorrow!).

Don't waste your time with that tests.

I have Z20 Pro and I tried all possible resolutions and settings. The result was always with the poster wall gap with the Android TV app. 

I use now the regular android app and there is no gap. I also prefer the TV app, but that big gap is really ruining the experience.

As I saw "ebr" said that the device is "reporting an incorrect pixel density", I have a question. 

If the device is reporting an incorrect pixel density, why on the regular android app the poster wall looks great and with the TV app there's big gapp between posters?

15 hours ago, KTRBG83 said:

If the device is reporting an incorrect pixel density, why on the regular android app the poster wall looks great and with the TV app there's big gapp between posters

Because the two have completely different rendering engines.

• Thanks 1