Duplicate channels on 104 in UK Freesat (Wales) EPG data

csimon
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

csimon

Freesat (Wales) EPG Guide data (GBR-1000047-DEFAULT)

There are two channels both on 104, I think this is causing me trouble mapping them to my M3U file:

104 S4CHDVM (S4C HD)
104 CH4HD (Channel 4 HD)

In Wales, Channel 4 HD should be on 106.

csimon

I can see actually from https://www.freesat.co.uk/channels that Freesat themselves have 104 for both channels! (enter LL55 for a Welsh postcode).  But see the EPG from my Freesat PVR below.  I'll try and report that to Freesat myself, but is this what's causing the same thing in your EPG and can you tweak it yourself?

IMG_20240103_174001061.jpg.00517a17fdbfd0092ea709e0a482b816.jpg

HI, have you tried mapping the channels manually?

csimon
Posted (edited)

It wasn't working properly, just deleted it all and setting it up again. EPG looks correct, but playing 104 as live TV doesn't work.  Emby thinks for a few seconds then returns to EPG without tuning to the channel.  106 works.

The same M3U list in Hypnotix (Linux IPTV viewer) works.

Edited by csimon

csimon

It's working in some clients/browsers and not others, I'm still playing around with satellite symbol rates, PIDs etc in the M3U file as there are conflicting sources of information as to what the parameters should be for each channel, and indeed what version of the channel should be used as there are often multiple occurrences over satellite and some don't work at all. It's trial and error. However, each time I upload a new version of the M3U file as a TV source, the mapping for 104 and 106 goes again and I have to re-map them.  104 S4C gets automatically mapped to Ch4HD and gets its EPG and logo, and 106 remains unmapped, and it all gets confusing. For the time being, can the channel numbering in your Guide data be corrected or is that something that only Freesat can resolve, as that would help greatly?

That's for FreeSat. We can pass it onto our guide data provider (GraceNote) @ebr, and in turn, they'll probably pass it over to FreeSat.

17 hours ago, csimon said:

For the time being, can the channel numbering in your Guide data be corrected

Corrected exactly how?  Didn't you say the source has the same channel number for the two as well?  What is it supposed to be "corrected" to...?

csimon
Posted (edited)

104 Ch4HD should be corrected to 106. I said this clearly in the first post.

Edited by csimon

Okay, sorry, I have forwarded that to the provider.

• Like 1

csimon
Posted (edited)

May or may not be good news, but I've literally just had a reply from Freesat about my report.

I have checked this information and can see where this issue is occurring. The good news is on our TV Guide https://www.freesat.co.uk/tv-guide this is displaying correctly when a Welsh postcode is entered which means that the EPG data looks to be correct. I will pass on the information about our channels page to our web team.

There is obviously a central mistake that has been propagated somehow, but it sounds from this reply that their public-facing web site and their EPG data are two separate things (indeed, as shown in my screenshot above, my PVR's EPG data is correct), so correcting the web site is not necessarily going to correct your EPG data.  See what Gracenote come back with anyway.

Edited by csimon
  • Thanks 1

emveepee

Is there a real mistake?  104 can be different because of the spot beams on FreeSat.  m3u files don't have bouquets or anything like that to help with regional FreeSat differences.

Martin

csimon

There is a real mistake.  Check the screensholt I've posted above from a real Freesat PVR where Ch4HD is on channel 106. It's nothing to do with the M3U file that is selected as a TV Source in Emby, as you say the actualy physical satellite transmission doesn't have channel numbers, they're provider (bouquet)-independant and just have symbol rates etc.  I put the channel numbers manaully into the EXTINF line in the file so that it can be matched with the EPG Data. But it's the Freeesat Guide Data supplied by Emby that is wrong.  The channel number can indeed be differnt on Freesat EPGs because of the regions, and in this case Ch4HD should  be on 106 in Wales but 104 in England, as England does not have S4C.

csimon

These are the relevant parts from my M3U file:

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="104",S4C HD
http://192.168.1.106/?freq=11426&src=aa&pol=v&msys=dvbs2&fec=89&rolloff=35&pilots=auto&sr=29500&mtype=auto&sid=52565&pmt=258&pids=0,2340,2343,258
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="106",Channel 4 HD
http://192.168.1.106/?freq=11127&src=aa&pol=v&msys=dvbs&fec=56&sr=22000&mtype=auto&sid=21200&pmt=259&pids=0,2305,2306,2307,259

And this is what's in Emby's EPG data:

104 S4CHDVM
104 CH4HD

emveepee

My point was tvg-no isn't fixed.  I found this quote as as example "Freesat users will see Channel 4 SD on channel 104 in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. In Wales, Channel 4 SD is available on channel 106. Here, 104 is allocated to S4C."   If there is an issue I expect it is with Emby but I don't see how automapping would be possible since the m3u didn't even use matching text names.   "S4CHDVM (S4C HD)" and "CH4HD (Channel 4 HD)"

Edited by emveepee

csimon
Posted (edited)

The channels are mapped on the channel number. I have added the correct channel number to the M3U file manually. However the channel number for Ch4HD is wrong in the EPG file and it therefore doesn't get mapped automatically. Additionally, the 104 S4C HD in the M3U file gets mapped incorrectly with the 104 Ch4HD in t he EPG file. Note that the EPG file is a specific one for Freesat (Wales), I wonder if it's this point that you've missed. In any particular region, the channel numbers are fixed. Therefore in that file, Ch4 HD should be on 106, not 104.

Every single other channel gets mapped correctly even though, as you pointed out, none of the names match at all. It's the channel number that does it, and it's correct in my file but wrong in Emby's file.

Regardless of how auto-mapping works, the channelk number is still wrong in the EPG file. In Wales, Ch4HD is on 106.  NB the quote you found is probably out of date as the SD channel has been replaced with HD.

Edited by csimon

• Solution

According to GN, they have fixed this.  Can you check?

csimon
Posted (edited)

Yay, sorted, and the channels have now auto-mapped correctly, and I've got the correct logos and names in the EPG too!

104 S4CHDVM

105 CH5D

106 C4HD

Thank you so much.

epg.jpg

Edited by csimon
  • Thanks 1