Unable to connect Remotely to Emby Server

Bpeklund

Bpeklund

Hello,

I've been hosting an Emby Server on my Nvidia Shield for several years without any real issues up until a few days ago. I saw my WAN address had changed to an IP6 address. Suddenly, all my family members lost the ability to connect remotely to the server. 

image.png.c3178bba94fd7dc1dd768121fde74499.png 

While I'm not new to networking, I went down the rabbit hole of setting up a Domain and SSL certificates, just to get frustrated with Xfinity's xFi modem/router's inability to use a Dynamic DNS service. I don't have a PC that is always on to use an IP checker, trying to sideload applications onto the Shield seems clunky and cumbersome, and I rather have the entire process automated.

I attempted to set the external domain to my public IP address with no luck. I installed an Emby server on a windows computer, it had an IP4 address, I connected to it instantly. About 20 minutes later, I was unable to connect to the same WAN address. I check the port through canyouseeme.org and it was unable, even though the Shield has had the port forwarding setup for sometime.

I'm at a loss at what to do next and would appreciate any suggestions. 

js28194

I believe your WAN address is coming directly from Xfinity Gateway, I don't know much about those, but I think your area has converted to IPv6.  I do not know if you can go inot the Gateway and look at settings to force it IPv4.

Back when I had comcast, I used my own modem/router giving me full control and I do not think you have full control over the xFinity Gateway.  You could try going into your domain name (wherever you registered) and update it your IPv6 and see if that works.  Just some thoughts....

Bpeklund
16 minutes ago, js28194 said:

I believe your WAN address is coming directly from Xfinity Gateway, I don't know much about those, but I think your area has converted to IPv6.  I do not know if you can go inot the Gateway and look at settings to force it IPv4.

Back when I had comcast, I used my own modem/router giving me full control and I do not think you have full control over the xFinity Gateway.  You could try going into your domain name (wherever you registered) and update it your IPv6 and see if that works.  Just some thoughts....

I feel I'm a little locked into the Xfinity Gateway. I have their modem/router combo so I don't have their data cap on our internet. We are in a new development, but our connection is coaxial and our house does not have any ethernet ports, just a handful of coaxial jacks. I am using the Xfinity Gateway as the modem/router and have 2 Orbis in AP mode with wired backhaul via MOCA adapters. 

Everything I'm seeing, I don't believe Xfinity has CGNAT and while I don't have a static IP, it hasn't really changed for some time either. I don't have a way to force the Gateway to IPv4. I suppose I haven't tried the domain as IPv6, i just haven't been able to connect to Emby via its assigned IPv6 WAN.

js28194

Yeah, sorry.  The only way other way I would recommend is to goto your domain registrar and update your domain name records with your IPv6 address, but I am not personally fluent with this process so maybe better women can comment.

What is the model of your Xfi Gateway?  I am curious, since as far as what I know today, IPv6, still comes with an IPv4 ip address.

Bpeklund
6 minutes ago, js28194 said:

Yeah, sorry.  The only way other way I would recommend is to goto your domain registrar and update your domain name records with your IPv6 address, but I am not personally fluent with this process so maybe better women can comment.

What is the model of your Xfi Gateway?  I am curious, since as far as what I know today, IPv6, still comes with an IPv4 ip address.

It is the XB8 model and I still have an IPv4 address. If I check my IP, it is displaying my IPv4 address, the same that is displaying on the Gateway. I just don't understand why Emby is suddenly getting the IPv6 address.

js28194

Yeah, I am not sure... you can goto 10.0.0.1 but I fear you have ZERO control over this device in lieu of having an Uncapped connection, Comcast has hamstrung their customers.

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/how-do-i-change-xfinity-gateways-settings-in-10001-from-automatic-to-manual/614423ecef55351432caf0ec

I do not have a WAN address, as I have turned off Remote Access in Networking, but still able to via a remote ssl proxy.

Bpeklund
2 hours ago, js28194 said:

Yeah, I am not sure... you can goto 10.0.0.1 but I fear you have ZERO control over this device in lieu of having an Uncapped connection, Comcast has hamstrung their customers.

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/how-do-i-change-xfinity-gateways-settings-in-10001-from-automatic-to-manual/614423ecef55351432caf0ec

I do not have a WAN address, as I have turned off Remote Access in Networking, but still able to via a remote ssl proxy.

I was looking at this guide last night, but I don't have a PC that is consistently powered on and running. What runs your reverse proxy or were you able to set it up on the Nvidia Shield/Android TV?

Bpeklund

I some how missed the option to turn off IPv6 on the Nvidia Shield, doing that and restarting solve my IPv6 issue, which I thought would have fixed the issue.

However, my ports, which have always been setup, are no longer open. I've tried disabling all firewalls with no luck. 

Any other ideas? This is Xfinity internet with their XB8 router.

1 hour ago, Bpeklund said:

I some how missed the option to turn off IPv6 on the Nvidia Shield, doing that and restarting solve my IPv6 issue, which I thought would have fixed the issue.

However, my ports, which have always been setup, are no longer open. I've tried disabling all firewalls with no luck. 

Any other ideas? This is Xfinity internet with their XB8 router.

HI, what ports do you mean? On the router? Have you checked port forwarding in the router's settings?

Bpeklund
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, what ports do you mean? On the router? Have you checked port forwarding in the router's settings?

Yes, the Nvidia Shield has been statically set to IP 10.0.0.44 and ports 8096 and 8920 UDP/TCP opened on the Xfinity router. The same port numbers setup on the Network page for Http and Https on Emby.

I did tracert 8.8.8.8 and the second hop returned 10.xx.xx.xx. Does this mean I'm behind a CGNAT? 

Are there any good solutions? It seems cloudflare will now block emby if I attempt that.

Edited by Bpeklund

11 minutes ago, Bpeklund said:

Yes, the Nvidia Shield has been statically set to IP 10.0.0.44 and ports 8096 and 8920 UDP/TCP opened on the Xfinity router. The same port numbers setup on the Network page for Http and Https on Emby.

I did tracert 8.8.8.8 and the second hop returned 10.xx.xx.xx. Does this mean I'm behind a CGNAT? 

Are there any good solutions? It seems cloudflare will now block emby if I attempt that.

Here is how you can tell: https://www.purevpn.com/blog/how-to-check-whether-or-not-your-isp-performs-cgnat/

What is the result? If you are behind a CGNat, then you may want to look at VPN's or TailScale. I have seen good feedback on TailScale.

Bpeklund
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Here is how you can tell: https://www.purevpn.com/blog/how-to-check-whether-or-not-your-isp-performs-cgnat/

What is the result? If you are behind a CGNat, then you may want to look at VPN's or TailScale. I have seen good feedback on TailScale.

According to the article, it seems like I'm not. Very odd that my ports would would just close randomly. I tried well over a dozen with no luck at all.

Xfinity is suppose to be calling me back to troubleshoot this issue. I'm not sure if it's bad equipment or what, but I'm kind of locked into using their equipment. 

Edited by Bpeklund

9 hours ago, Bpeklund said:

According to the article, it seems like I'm not. Very odd that my ports would would just close randomly. I tried well over a dozen with no luck at all.

Xfinity is suppose to be calling me back to troubleshoot this issue. I'm not sure if it's bad equipment or what, but I'm kind of locked into using their equipment. 

Let us know what comes of that. Thanks !