DTS audio not triggering audio transcode when video direct plays

KMBanana

KMBanana

I have 1 user with an LG tv, who when they set the video bitrate to a high quality to avoid video transcoding, DTS audio will also direct play and therefore be silent.

When the video transcodes, either by setting the quality to "Auto" or to an intentionally low bitrate, the audio will also transcode and therefore play.  "Auto" quality results in a video transcode consistently for them, though they don't have buffering issues when they manually set it high.  

They aren't connected to a soundbar or receiver, just using the built in TV speakers.  Other media plays fine, only issue they run into is no audio with DTS based files.  

I personally also have an LG tv, and for me DTS audio will always transcode automatically regardless of if the video is direct playing or transcoding.  I've double checked both their account and mine have all settings to allow transcoding enabled.  

I found the thread below and the issue seems similar, but not the solution.  I also use an nginx reverse proxy and have a 301 redirect, but the redirect isn't being used here.  The user specifies https in the server address and port 443, so the redirect running on port 80 and with http shouldn't ever be hit.  I also had already set the "secure connection mode" setting to "Handled by reverse proxy".  

Server log of the issue occurring attached.  Since it's only an issue when it direct plays there isn't an associated ffmpeg remux or transcode log.  

embyserver (1).txt

SamES

What model is their TV that tries to DirectPlay DTS?  What app version number are they using?

Edited by SamES

KMBanana
41 minutes ago, SamES said:

What model is their TV that tries to DirectPlay DTS?  What app version number are they using?

The TV that tries to DirectPlay DTS is a SK8000PUA.  They said they checked to make sure they were on the latest version of the app, the server log says it was using 1.0.39

SamES

According to the LG site for this model, it is supposed to support DTS.  

LG 55SK8000PUA: 55 Inch Class 4K HDR Smart LED SUPER UHD TV w/ AI ThinQ® | LG USA

Can you please get them to check if it has the latest firmware (I think it should be 05.50.15 for that model)?  Are they using the TV's speakers, or is it connected to a receiver?  If it is through a receiver, is it via optical or HDMI/ARC connection - can they do a test with just the TV's speakers?

KMBanana

Since the TV supports DTS I'm going to for the moment assume Emby is working properly and the problem was with their soundbar, which they originally told me they didn't have but apparently do.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1