Switching to NFO files for my movie database

Eldontyrellcorp

Eldontyrellcorp

I'm running Emby Server version 4.7.14.0 on DSM 6.2.

I've decided to switch to NFO mode for my video movie library database.

Before I enable it, I wanted to understand a couple of things first:

1. Once I enable NFO mode, will NFO file creation happen automatically?
  2. When I enable, where will Emby scrape the data from - my existing database, or will it force a fresh import from my chosen metadata providers such as TMDB? I would prefer it scrapes my existing database, due to some custom metadata edits I have done for some movies.
  3. I have just one subfolder in the video library that is already using NFO files for all videos - custom NFO's, made and maintained with Tiny Media Manager. I want to keep all these intact. Will enabling NFOs in Emby server overwrite these existing custom ones or cause any other issues? I want to avoid that.

Thanks.

Once I enable NFO mode, will NFO file creation happen automatically?

Hi, yes, for future library items that are scanned in. Please see the help text at the top of the library options dialog to learn how to apply settings changes to existing items.

Will enabling NFOs in Emby server overwrite these existing custom ones or cause any other issues? I want to avoid that.

Hi, yes, they'll get read and updated with changes from Emby Server. Custom tags written by other software that Emby doesn't use will be preserved though.

• Like 1

Eldontyrellcorp

Thanks for the response. 

Please see the help text at the top of the library options dialog to learn how to apply settings changes to existing items.

Been looking around, but not sure I have found the answer to the above topic.

When I enable, where will Emby scrape the data from - my existing database, or will it force a fresh import from my chosen metadata providers such as TMDB? I would prefer it scrapes my existing database, due to some custom metadata edits I have done for some movies.

I'm also not clear on the answer to this question.

joekingcool

just as side note, because i just tested it. if you dont let emby do any metadata scraping from movie db etc. and just have it read nfo files in your media folder. the scan will take almost half the time to scan. 

emby has settings for read nfo and another for write further down. and you can uncheck all the providers for fetching other meta data.

• Like 1

When I enable, where will Emby scrape the data from - my existing database, or will it force a fresh import from my chosen metadata providers such as TMDB? I would prefer it scrapes my existing database, due to some custom metadata edits I have done for some movies.

I don't really know what you mean by this question. There is really no such thing as "scraping from existing database". It's imported based on your library settings, and then later if you refresh metadata, the manner in which that occurs also depends on your library settings.

Eldontyrellcorp
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

I don't really know what you mean by this question. There is really no such thing as "scraping from existing database". It's imported based on your library settings, and then later if you refresh metadata, the manner in which that occurs also depends on your library settings.

Sorry - I'll explain the reason for the question instead. In my existing library, I have done some custom edits to metadata for some movies. About 30 or 40 of them. Once I ask the system to create NFO's and then refresh metadata, will those custom edits be preserved in the new NFO files, or will I need to do those edits manually in Emby again?

Edited by Eldontyrellcorp

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, Eldontyrellcorp said:

Once I ask the system to create NFO's and then refresh metadata, will those custom edits be preserved in the new NFO files, or will I need to do those edits manually in Emby again?

Latter. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eldontyrellcorp said:

Sorry - I'll explain the reason for the question instead. In my existing library, I have done some custom edits to metadata for some movies. About 30 or 40 of them. Once I ask the system to create NFO's and then refresh metadata, will those custom edits be preserved in the new NFO files, or will I need to do those edits manually in Emby again?

Depends. If the fields are also locked, then the values should be preserved.

But most likely they aren’t. When you edit directly in Emby, it not only edits the value but applies the field lock as well.

Given that, the best way to preserve your values is to enable the option but don’t refresh metadata.

• Like 1

Eldontyrellcorp

Did the changeover this morning. All went well. Thanks everyone for your help.

• Thanks 1

joekingcool
On 1/3/2024 at 1:55 PM, Luke said:

Given that, the best way to preserve your values is to enable the option but don’t refresh metadata.

i thought if you select read nfo and not save nfo in emby. then it wont edit the nfo? 

i went ahead and decided to turn off read and save nfo and save artwork. then remove all metadata from my media. then just let emby store in the metadata folder. the scans seem to complete now for larger library's for me now. 

then i just backup the metadata folder with my other backups.  

also i seen the new beta 77 said something about storing artwork in data folder. not sure why we need that since it can store in metadata folder. unless im missing something?

joekingcool
On 1/3/2024 at 2:06 AM, Eldontyrellcorp said:

for you since you have custom nfos. i would say to uncheck everything accept read nfo when you create the library. then run scan. but definitely don't check write to nfo . you might need to select the metadata providers. maybe luke can correct me?

On 1/3/2024 at 2:06 AM, Eldontyrellcorp said:

Are the fields locked in the metadata editor? Or did you do the edits outside of Emby?

Eldontyrellcorp
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Are the fields locked in the metadata editor? Or did you do the edits outside of Emby?

The fields were not locked, but the data transferred over unchanged to the new NFO files regardless.

• Thanks 1