Library Organization - Custom Structure with "Placeholder" Tags

MistD

MistD

Pretty much all the media software i tried wants the files organized in a specific folder structure in order to provide fully various internal functions (metadata, artworks, nfo files etc.). Either you use the forced imposed structure ... or you loose the functionality or some features .

I am not sure what it takes or if it possible but here is my suggestion :

Why can't we just have a "placeholder" type of system where we can define in Library settings the structure of storage using predefined tags ? Then, the software use this custom defined path for the "internal" library work / agents/ processes etc.

How this works :

1. Give me a field in library settings where i can "define" my media storage structure (within "root" selected folder) using the provided standard "placeholders" for that particular library type.
2. Users will define their media files structure by using the provided placeholder "tags" in the settings field.

Scenario  - Music library

- select your root music folder
   - define your library structure within the root folder
      * available tags: artist, album, genre, year, tracks (etc.)
  - user defined setting (example) :  {genre} / {artist} / {album} / {tracks}
                                                              {year} / {genre} / {artist} / {tracks}

.... and so on, Emby then will "translate" this setting into it's internal systems. "OK ... now i know where the artist folder is within the structure .. i know where to place the artist image"

Scenario - Audiobooks / Books
   - available structure tags: genre, author, custom, year etc.

Scenario - Movies
 - available structure tags: genre, year .. etc.

You get the point ...
I'm not sure why nobody solved this yet by providing a "dynamic", user defined way of constructing library paths.

As a side note, this in the web development world is referred to as "routing" , where you can define custom dynamic "routes" for various type of "resources" (ex: gallery page, single image view etc.) 

Hopefully this can be applied to media server software as well so we can solve this limiting and frustrating "hardcoded" folder structure mentality .

Just my 2 cents 🫡

Edited by MistD

Hi, I've got good news for you - Emby server's support for music and audiobooks does not require any specific folder structure. Mish-mashes are supported.

• Agree 1

MistD
Posted (edited)

Yep ... but with some loss in functionality compared to the "structured" folder approach.

In the case of Music, if i have my library as "Unstructured" , Emby doesn't pull artist images from the artist local folder.
It's expected: i think , with this setting, it doesn't make any assumption on where these folders are within the directory tree.

In order to have the "custom" file structure benefit ... you have to manually add artist images, which is a deal breaker.

By using the manual image upload, you loose the benefit on having those files in the media folder so on the next library rebuild (within an "empty" Emby installation), another huge task of uploading artist images ... and so on.

Or just backup Emby's metadata folder ... but on Synology is "hidden" outside the shared folders within @appdata, you have to jump fences, ssh as root ..etc

I tried all kind of approaches with settings, file structure etc. and hit all kind of walls.

I noticed right away that Emby works best with a "structured" approach (even though we have an option to setup the library as "other/unstructured" ... we "pay the price" with some benefits loss compared to "structured").

Currently i settled on a "hybrid" approach: having a "structured" setting in a "not perfectly" matched folder tree (ex: artist inside genre folder and not in root).
It works ... but again, with some glitches (can't have "singles" without an "album" assigned in Tags, Emby will create a "ghost" one automatically)

Haven't tried the audiobooks yet.

Anyway, long story short ... by having a way to define "custom" file paths for libraries in settings while maintaining the FULL software functionality it's a huge deal.

PS: Still a new fan of Emby 🙂

Edited by MistD

tedfroop21
1 hour ago, MistD said:

In the case of Music, if i have my library as "Unstructured" , Emby doesn't pull artist images from the artist local folder.
It's expected: i think , with this setting, it doesn't make any assumption on where these folders are within the directory tree.

What software does what you describe? 

I use my music library with a bunch of different players and have never worried about more than having file tags (Flac tags) correct.   Anything artist related is automatically retrieved and that's done once - when its added to the library.   Continually re-scanning files is not required with Emby.  Once the meta has been retrieved, no need to re-scan or download it over and over.  Just set the library to detect changes, and it adds or removes as needed.

If you want to change to specific pictures for artists you can do that as well - same as a movie - click on the three dots by the artist and pick your artwork.  Sounds like you have your artists pictures already so you just need to pick from your library at worst and your file structure still doesn't matter - all Emby looks for is music.....

Exactly.

In order to have the "custom" file structure benefit ... you have to manually add artist images, which is a deal breaker.

No you don't have to. You can still get internet provided images.

Or just backup Emby's metadata folder ... but on Synology is "hidden" outside the shared folders within @appdata, you have to jump fences, ssh as root ..etc

The upcoming 4.8 server release will have a reworked backup plugin that will include the contents of the metadata folder.

• Like 1