Possible to get Emby on Apple TV 3

embyben

embyben

I've jailbroken an Apple TV 3,1. 

The blackb0x jailbreak installs Kodi 14.2 Helix. I haven't figured out how to update this to a later version yet. 

Is it possible to install a version of emby over SSH on the ATV3,1 ?

embyben
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply @Luke

Apple TV3 - tvOS v8 does not have an AppStore. Only ATV4 onwards. 

Kodi 14.2 and SSH is installed on ATV3's with the latest BlackB0x jailbreak. 

I can't install the EmbyCon Add-On with Kodi 14.2.  (works with Kodi 19 onwards)

I have several ATV3's and there are still several around today. I think it's good to repurpose old hardware as much as possible before throwing them to waste. 

Any assistance updating Kodi on the ATV3 to a useable version for Emby, or perhaps help compiling Kodi (open-source) for an ATV3 (arm) would be massively appreciated (you'd be helping the environment 😃 👍)

Family-Room-Apple-TV:~ root# uname -a

Darwin Family-Room-Apple-TV 14.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.0.0: Fri Jan 29 18:51:13 PST 2021; root:xnu-2784.40.6~93/MarijuanARM_S5L8947X AppleTV3,1 arm J33AP Darwin

Edited by embyben

embyben

Or would it at all be feasible to compile and build the Emby app for the ATV3 arm processor and make it installable via SSH ?

That would be awesome!

• Haha 1

embyben

I was able to access my media server (over VPN) from my girlfriends ATV3, using Plex. I've always preferred Emby over Plex. I don't want to switch to plex. Emby is why i paid for a lifetime subscription... 

Hoping someone takes on the challenge to create an ATV3 emby client. 

OK there's no Emby app for such an old version of tvOS. Maybe you can get Kodi going, but even if you do, the Emby addons for that might require a newer version than 14.

Hi.  That old version of the Apple TV doesn't even have the entire framework under which our app is developed unfortunately.  That was introduced with v4.