New Media Importing Issue

dougw03

dougw03

I am using DSM 7.2 with Emby in conjunction with Radarr which manages all of my post processing. Radarr moves the files into my Emby media folder and I have real-time monitoring enabled for this folder. I also have Radarr configured to send a notification to Emby that new media is available. I usually see the new media added to Emby as soon as Radarr finishes it's processing, however, the media shows up as a generic video without any metadata. The unprocessed media will play without any issues, but without the metadata you cannot pause/resume and so IMO it's not really usable yet. It's unclear whether Emby is doing anything with this new media in the background and so I usually trigger a manual scan media library (which can take 5+ minutes). I really would like to not have to intervene and have Emby automatically do it's scan once it knows there is new media. That being said, I had a few questions:

1. Can we get some kind of notification on the client side if the media is currently being processed (and a progress bar)? If not, can we at least get a notification on the server side? 

2. Can there be a setting to not show new media until the metadata processing is complete?

3. Are there any plans to speed up the scan media library algorithm? Here are a few suggestions:

• Can Emby perform a "fast" scan first so that the video can be played/resumed without having to wait for all the metadata/parsing to finish?
  • Would it be possible to coordinate with tools like Radarr/Sonarr to start parsing the media before it is fully post processed and in Emby's media folder?

HI, yes we are constantly working on improving the performance of library scans. If you can provide an Emby Server log, we might be able to suggest some options to change for faster scans.

dougw03

Thanks Luke. I'll send a log over next time I add a new piece of media and run a scan. Regarding my other questions, is there any way for me to tell if Emby is actually doing something in the background after Radarr moves a file into my media folder (monitored by Emby) and/or sends a notification to Emby? Is it an unreasonable request to want to wait for new media to show up on the client side until after it's been parsed by Emby? 

20 hours ago, dougw03 said:

Thanks Luke. I'll send a log over next time I add a new piece of media and run a scan. Regarding my other questions, is there any way for me to tell if Emby is actually doing something in the background after Radarr moves a file into my media folder (monitored by Emby) and/or sends a notification to Emby? Is it an unreasonable request to want to wait for new media to show up on the client side until after it's been parsed by Emby? 

Hi, again If you can provide an Emby Server log, we might be able to suggest some options to improve this. Thanks.

dougw03
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, again If you can provide an Emby Server log, we might be able to suggest some options to improve this. Thanks.

I think there's some kind of disconnect here, Luke. As I mentioned in my last response, I will send you my log next time I add new media. However, I asked two separate questions (specifically #1 & #2 above) and you completely ignored these in both of your responses. Does this mean these features do not exist and the Emby dev team will not consider them?

We already have them. Several of the library options allow you to specify whether certain things are processed during the library scan and/or scheduled task.

dougw03
1 hour ago, Luke said:

We already have them. Several of the library options allow you to specify whether certain things are processed during the library scan and/or scheduled task.

Thanks Luke, perhaps my question was not specific enough and so let me just lay out my ideal scenario for you. Let's assume for this situation, I have turned off real time folder monitoring for my library to avoid any race conditions. I have Radarr configured to send a (push) notification to Emby when it has processed new media and moved it into my media folder. I want Emby to process my new media as soon as it gets the notification and I don't want it to show up in my library until Emby has processed the new media. I would like to see an Alert or Activity on my Emby Server dashboard that shows Emby discovered the new media and is processing it (ideally it would also show the percentage towards completion). 

Hopefully that clarifies what I am asking for. Is any or all of this possible with the current features? Can you please help me understand which settings I need to change on the Emby side? I already have Radarr configured to send the notification.

dougw03
On 1/2/2024 at 4:11 PM, dougw03 said:

Thanks Luke, perhaps my question was not specific enough and so let me just lay out my ideal scenario for you. Let's assume for this situation, I have turned off real time folder monitoring for my library to avoid any race conditions. I have Radarr configured to send a (push) notification to Emby when it has processed new media and moved it into my media folder. I want Emby to process my new media as soon as it gets the notification and I don't want it to show up in my library until Emby has processed the new media. I would like to see an Alert or Activity on my Emby Server dashboard that shows Emby discovered the new media and is processing it (ideally it would also show the percentage towards completion). 

Hopefully that clarifies what I am asking for. Is any or all of this possible with the current features? Can you please help me understand which settings I need to change on the Emby side? I already have Radarr configured to send the notification.

@Lukeany thoughts on above?

HI, yes alerts are possible for future updates. Thanks.