When artists have albums in multiple libraries

beckfield

beckfield

I can't decide if I think this is a problem because it's non-intuitive, or if it's just because it isn't what I'm used to, so I thought I'd put it out for discussion:

I have my music separated into two libraries -- one for classical, and one for everything else.  Some artists may have albums in both libraries ("Various Artists" is an obvious one, but there are others). 

• What Emby does:  when I access the Artist Detail page from within one library, all of the artist's albums from both libraries are listed. 
  • What I'm accustomed to - only the albums from the current library are listed.

What would you normally expect in this situation? 

HI, yes currently this is expected but may change in future updates.

beckfield

It looks like "Playlists" are the same way.  No matter where you access it from, it shows all playlists from all libraries.

beckfield

Playlists.

I guess that's a bit of a misnomer.  There doesn't appear to be any way to access Playlists from within any library.  It appears to only exist as a 'global' category.

Sure there is. Have you explored the Playlists tab inside of a library?

beckfield
Posted (edited)

Oops, I was looking at a library that didn't have any playlists when I wrote that.  😄

And it looks like I was wrong about the Playlists tab.  When accessed within a library, it only shows playlists from that library.  So that's good.

Edited by beckfield
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
beckfield

I've gotten around this for Various Artists at least, by changing the album artist in classical VA albums to "Various Classical."  This keeps the non-classical VA albums out of my classical library.  It's not ideal, and it's still an issue for specific artists that appear in both libraries, but that's relatively rare and not as much a problem as "Various Artists."