Google TV not connecting to server

Wutpa

Wutpa

Hi there.

I'm very new to Emby, so I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge, information omissions, etc.

I have Emby Server Version 4.7.14.0 running on my Windows 11 PC, and until yesterday I was connecting to it on my TCL TV with Emby for Android TV installed, v 2.098g. Then, for some reason last night Emby on the TV asked me to choose a server to log on to (there is only one, and only one choice was shown), but when I select it to connect I get an error message saying the server is unavailable. 

I tried manually entering the server IP address and port, but it still says it can't connect. It was working just fine, and now it isn't, but I'm not aware of anything that has changed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on the TV, and also the server on my PC, but to no avail. On the PC it works okay, I just can't get the TV to connect to it any more.

Any initial thoughts or guidance would be most welcome. I've attached a server log file, but I don't know if it's the right one. I'm happy to attach others if you let me know what's best.

Many thanks,

Nigel.

embyserver.txt

Hi.  Is it possible the IP address on your server has changed?

Wutpa
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Is it possible the IP address on your server has changed?

Hi @ebrand thanks for responding. I don't know why it would have changed, but I did try to manually enter the IP address and port # on the TV, and it still wouldn't connect. Shouldn't that have got around any change of IP address?

Just now, Wutpa said:

but I did try to manually enter the IP address and port # on the TV

Where did you obtain the IP and port from?

Wutpa
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Where did you obtain the IP and port from?

Uh-oh. I got it from the server dashboard, the Remote (WAN) access. Am I barking up the wrong tree? 

I tried again using the PC's actual IP address (obtained by running ipconfig  in cmd) and now my TV shows two identically named servers, but it won't let me get past that screen no matter which one I choose.

Uh-oh. I got it from the server dashboard, the Remote (WAN) access. Am I barking up the wrong tree? 

Are you on a remote connection or inside your local network? if you are inside your local network you may not be able to use the remote address if the router doesn't support or allow loopback connections.

I tried again using the PC's actual IP address (obtained by running ipconfig  in cmd) and now my TV shows two identically named servers, but it won't let me get past that screen no matter which one I choose.

What screen exactly are you stuck on?

Wutpa
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Luke said:

What screen exactly are you stuck on?

I've attached a couple of screenshots of what I'm seeing on the TV. Apologies for the quality of the images which I had to snap with my phone, but they should be good enough to clarify my explanation.

When I attempt to open Emby on the TV, I see the first photo below. It shows two servers named "RAINBOWBOX", which is the name of my PC. The instance on the right was the original one mentioned in my first post, which gives me an error message if I select it. The one on the left only appeared after I manually inputted the IP address for the PC earlier today (not the Remote (WAN) IP I originally tried in error).

When I click on the left-hand RAINBOWBOX I get taken to the screen shown in the second photo below. I can't progress past there to my Emby Home screen, with media folders etc, which is what I had been seeing when I first logged on, up until a couple of days ago.

Emby 1.jpg

Emby 2.jpg

Edited by Wutpa

Wutpa
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Have you tried "Enter user manually"?

Yes. I've entered my username and password on that screen, but it tells me one or both are invalid. After that, I went back to my Emby dashboard on the PC and tried to reset the password, but it also told me the (old ) password is invalid, which is odd. However, the activity list says that I just changed my password, which is contradictory.

So now I can't even be sure what my password is/was, and whether it has changed. I'm getting more confused with each step.

15 minutes ago, Wutpa said:

Yes. I've entered my username and password on that screen, but it tells me one or both are invalid. After that, I went back to my Emby dashboard on the PC and tried to reset the password, but it also told me the (old ) password is invalid, which is odd. However, the activity list says that I just changed my password, which is contradictory.

So now I can't even be sure what my password is/was, and whether it has changed. I'm getting more confused with each step.

HI, try removing the password to make it blank, then work your way up from there as you see success. Please let us know if that helps.

gartner

I have the same issue. I conect with a pc or my anroid phone. No problem.

But Andoird TV app wont work.

I enter manually. xxx.ddns.net port 443. it then dissaper, and it is like picture above. Wont work...

Same method on a anroid phone, no problemos. 

So is it a bug in Android TV or?

Edited by gartner

40 minutes ago, Wutpa said:

Are you using SSL?

Can you get to that screen  you showed and press the "Send logs" button and then come here and tell me exactly what time you did that?

Wutpa
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Are you using SSL?

Can you get to that screen  you showed and press the "Send logs" button and then come here and tell me exactly what time you did that?

I just sent the log, and it's 16:31 Pacific. Not using SSL as far as I'm aware.

gartner

I finally got it working. I uninstalled the app from playstore. and downloaded and installed "apk, app-google-release" version 2.0.93g.

14 hours ago, Wutpa said:

I just sent the log, and it's 16:31 Pacific. Not using SSL as far as I'm aware.

Can I please see the server log from that session?

What I see on the app side is suggesting that something in the middle is mucking with the communications (altering the content).

Wutpa
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can I please see the server log from that session?

What I see on the app side is suggesting that something in the middle is mucking with the communications (altering the content).

I think this is the log that covers that session.

embyserver-63839821423.txt

Okay, if that is the right log (appears to be proper time period) then the attempt to login to your server is never reaching your server.  It is getting rejected by something with a 415 response code - which is "invalid format".  Are you going through any sort of proxy?

Wutpa
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, if that is the right log (appears to be proper time period) then the attempt to login to your server is never reaching your server.  It is getting rejected by something with a 415 response code - which is "invalid format".  Are you going through any sort of proxy?

No, the TV and the PC are on the same network, in fact both are connected to the router by ethernet cables rather than Wi-Fi. 

Wutpa
On 02/01/2024 at 12:57, Luke said:

HI, try removing the password to make it blank, then work your way up from there as you see success. Please let us know if that helps.

I couldn't remove the password, because it wasn't showing. It just wanted me to enter my old password in a blank field before entering a new one. In the end I finally got the new one to stick and be successfully accepted though, so I went back to the Google TV app and tried to manually input my username and the new password, and.....nope. It still wouldn't connect.

Micky3232

Same thing happened to my emby a few days ago - tried to sideload however google tv wont let me allow access to install unknown apps now (wont let me toggle the buttons in the screen for some reason). Following thread for fix. 

Wutpa

I don't know why, but suddenly I'm in again. I tried to log on to the TV app (Emby for Android) and this time when I selected the server it showed by username and avatar. Clicking on that and entering my password finally brought me to the Home screen again, and all my media is there. 

I didn't make any changes, but now I have access again just as inexplicably as it had previously disappeared. I'm glad of course, but without understanding why it went or why it came back I don't feel very confident it won't happen again. However, for the time being it's working, and thank you to everyone who commented and helped.

Make sure you don't have any "watchdog" type of applications running on your network (or maybe even your router) because I still think that whatever was happening was some external application blocking or altering the communication.