Emby for Shield Pro TV spinning

jriker1
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

jriker1

I had to wipe and redo my NVidia Shield Pro 2019 the other day.  Movies still play.  My recorded shows on Emby still play.  I have some shows I download in MP4 format that just spin when i try to play them.  They were fine before.  Looks like the version of the client installed is 2.0.99g beta.  Says it's direct playing

image.png.21f911d85d7090b07d533c136956a16b.png

But on screen it's just a big blue spinner.

Files would be in: \\vmce\d$\DuckieTVShows\General Hospital\ from a log perspective since I have multiple copies of General Hospital shows both downloaded mp4 and Emby thru TV.

Logs seem to show something about transcoding and something about changing packet size over and over.  Happening now in every file of General Hospital in that folder.

embyserver (6).txt ffmpeg-directstream-346698f1-f958-47d5-a993-415e8580d0eb_1.txt

generalhosptailmetadata.txt

Edited by jriker1

HI, since you're on the beta server, can you upload to the latest build and see how things compare? thanks.

jriker1

Sure, question while I'm at it.  How do you restart Emby?  I ask as it sounds weird but a while ago you could restart Emby thru the web interface.  Now it just has an option to Shutdown the Server.  Not restart it, shutdown.  Frequently if I restart the Emby server physically it will still tell me to restart Emby to finish updates afterwards so am sometimes wondering when it wants to restart to apply the updates what that process should be.

Edited by jriker1

Self-restarting isn't supported when you're running as a windows service, so that's why you're not seeing it.

jriker1

Sure I can install that again.  If you want to check here is the file itself:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s6vn5zjksw14r1hdktpum/General-Hospital-S61E51.mp4?rlkey=1o8zqz1kzj7rbr8r6ekb5l10x&dl=0

Note almost thought I was running the Android app.  Acts a lot like it where you click once to the right on the remote and Emby moves like 4 clicks.

Edited by jriker1

js28194

You mentioned you redid your Sheild Pro.  I have found BEFORE anything is that I mounted my remote shares in Sheild first from the sheild settings menu.  Connecting it to Sheild before any apps such as Kodi and Emby, I have never had an issue.  You may want to try that.

Also, on my server, I just choose to add libraries with IP address instead of name.  So instead of \\Server\TV\ShowName I choose \\192.168.xxx.xx\TV\Showname and it is no more problems with SMB v1, v2 , v3 etc.  I do not know if this your issue.

Edited by js28194

jriker1

Thanks.  With the IP vs Server name been set this way for many years so won't go down that rabbit hole.  Plus being Windows network IP can be detremental with logging into shares and the like not using the name.

With the remote shares, all my files are on multiple servers so would be odd that this one doesn't work.  All my machines are on the same network domain and Emby in Windows is running with a domain admin account.

jriker1
27 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Tried the Emby App for Android and it worked immediately with the General Hospital files.  Side note looks like your icons for Android are the same with the two apps.  May want to tweak that as hard to tell them apart until you open them.  Remeber the two apps had similar icons but the Emby image was smaller on one.

Edited by jriker1

15 minutes ago, jriker1 said:

Tried the Emby App for Android and it worked immediately with the General Hospital files.  Side note looks like your icons for Android are the same with the two apps.  May want to tweak that as hard to tell them apart until you open them.  Remeber the two apps had similar icons but the Emby image was smaller on one.

Thanks! Are you happy continuing to use that?

36 minutes ago, jriker1 said:

looks like your icons for Android are the same with the two apps

Hi.  Look closely...

15 hours ago, jriker1 said:

Log sent 5:39PM CST.  Think the logged in user is syarbrou

Thanks.  Can you please attach the server log that goes with that playback?

Okay, this may be related to the beta server as ffmpeg is failing on these items.

On 12/30/2023 at 4:48 PM, Luke said:

Thanks! Are you happy continuing to use that?

• Solution
rbjtech

So the original container is TS - Transport Stream.

If it worked before using Emby for AndroidTV, then it may simply be that you have not set the Emby App to allow direct playback of TS files (set in Playback) ... and thus it is transcoding them.  Previously they likely direct played - which will be better quality anyway.

jriker1
On 1/5/2024 at 9:20 PM, Luke said:

Not really.  I was going to say yes but using LiveTV as well on the standard Android app isn't usable.  Like if I pause livetv and then come back and want to jump forward a bit it won't let me.  Keeps going back to the time I paused it.  

jriker1
On 1/8/2024 at 10:52 AM, rbjtech said:

So the original container is TS - Transport Stream.

If it worked before using Emby for AndroidTV, then it may simply be that you have not set the Emby App to allow direct playback of TS files (set in Playback) ... and thus it is transcoding them.  Previously they likely direct played - which will be better quality anyway.

Bingo.  Since I had to reinstall everything due to a weird network glitch on the Shield Pro I didn't recheck that setting.  Thanks a lot!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1