Alexa - Default User / User Authentication by Voice Pin Code.

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

The user that you use to authenticate the skill (emby connect username)  perhaps shouldnt be the default account authenticated to emby on the Alexa?

Spoiler

(perhaps it isnt as user session functionality is not working for me and no history is being recorded).

Perhaps the emby admin should specify an emby user as the default Alexa user with what they consider an appropriate level of privilege (given Alexa might be able to use the elevated privileges of the emby connect user eg to add media to a playlist? or send streams to a device...looking at the wiki)

Alexa seems to accept character input so perhaps when changing user,  a/the pin could secure the accounts for alexa usage.

"Who is the active User" ....."Alexa Default"

"Change the user to Nicholas"......"Please enter Pin Number for Nicholas"

"1234"...."Login Successful - Nicholas"|"Login Unsuccessful - Check Pin Number for user Nicholas"

perhaps it could be a user profile option "Available on Alexa  Y/N".

edit

perhaps given concerns about simplicity of use, emby should cache users logon [by default?] on an [alexa] device by device basis..but an eco system to cache logons for a device and provide ui for  users to revoke is a wider/larger request. If such a password caching by device eco system did exist Alexa might say "Your Emby server will store your authentication so you dont have to logon next time..Do you agree [Y/N]"

Edited by ginjaninja

Unless I'm mistaking what you're asking, then this sounds awkward to me. This means that when you play something through alexa all of the watch data would apply to a different user.

ginjaninja
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Unless I'm mistaking what you're asking, then this sounds awkward to me. This means that when you play something through alexa all of the watch data would apply to a different user.

All of the watch data /access should apply to the currently logged on user...

Spoiler

(FWIW i dont think Emby alexa  does currently record watch data against the emby connect user..the alexa user seems to be a ghost with no footprint in terms of watch history at least for music))

i was suggesting the default alexa user can be configured ..but on reflection i guess theres nothing stopping alexa customers creating a specific alexa emby connect account for this purpose and link the skill to that account.. Also I guess its no skin off anyone's nose to create multiple emby connect accounts to ensure the default emby account active on the alexa has appropriate privileges or indeed convert an existing emby user into emby connect user if the admin doesnt want to create a new user.

still seems to be a need to authenticate user  change/logon though.. If not voice recognised pin code entry an alternative might be  using pop up on emby [mobile] "approve logon on Alexa device Kitchen Approve [1-time]/Approve/Deny". Given the skill can accept text input...i was thinking voice authentication might be within the realm of possibility.

Edited by ginjaninja