does emby restart many times a day on its own?

joekingcool
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

joekingcool

ive been starting to get a little more familiar with the logs. and it seems i get half dozen or more hardware_detection and new embyserver logs a day. even if low to no usage of emby. in the begining of the embyserver log it starts the same as if its starting up. 

Edited by joekingcool

Gilgamesh_48

For me the only times Emby restarts is:
1. When I (or the local power company) reboot the computer involved.
2. When I manually restart Emby.
3.  Once and only once something crashed the Emby app and I had to restart it manually.

There have not been, as far as I know, any restarts from any other situations.
That is: For me Emby is 100% stable. Which is a lot better than I am myself. I am no better that 60-70% stable.

But, like I say to others, "Your just jealous because the voices only talk to me." ;) :D 

joekingcool
2 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

But, like I say to others, "Your just jealous because the voices only talk to me." ;) :D 

nope i here them too, i guess they distracted from the fact IM restarting my pc that often 😆 not embys fault my bad 😑

but its good to know that emby shouldn't be restarting often on its own. i noticed the other day when i got an update it did and assumed it did for plugins or something. 

Edited by joekingcool

Gilgamesh_48
31 minutes ago, joekingcool said:

nope i here them too, i guess they distracted from the fact IM restarting my pc that often 😆 not embys fault my bad 😑

but its good to know that emby shouldn't be restarting often on its own. i noticed the other day when i got an update it did and assumed it did for plugins or something. 

Actually there is a setting that basically says "automatically restart Emby when an update happens." That does seem to include plugin updates as well. I automatically turn off the auto-update feature as I do not like machines to decide "when It is convenient" to perform the restart. 

I just try to check daily or every two days in settings to see if anything needs to update and, if it does, take appropriate action when I can.

I did test for several months with auto-updates turned on (on a backup server) and I never really ran into anything concerning. 

From everything I know about and after rethinking a bit I do not think you have anything abnormal happening. You just have a lot of them.
Are you sure that you need all the plugins you have installed? When Emby is first installed it includes a number of, for me, useless plugins and I think if they are installed Emby will restart for updates even if the plugin involved is not used.

I keep my plugin menagerie trimmed down as low as it can go and that may also help a bit. 

My suggestion to new (or recent) Emby admins is to try to only use the plugins you absolutely need. I prefer functionality over appearance as being "pretty" is not al all useful if there are problems.

For me I have seen too many plugins (or certain plugins by themselves) cause a LOT more problems than Emby itself. That does not mean I don't use plugins, I do, but it means that the first place I look for issues if something pops up unexpectedly is my plugins. If there has been a plugin update to any plugins that is my first suspect.

joekingcool

i agree with the minimal plugins concept. i only have the ones that came with it. it dont seem like there is much to over threw emby unless there is another site. i was wondering if the default plugins when they update, if it auto restarts. i see the checkmark for autorestart but it wont allow me to change it. maybe cause im on the beta version?

as a side topic. i dealing with one of the strangest gremlins' as i call it, for windows. folders changing back to the original name many days later. and the other day i edited a text document and minute later it was like the change never happened. i know what your thinking quit listening to those other voices lol but my wife was a witness. i wont state my wifes sanity on here cause i value my happiness lol 

the reason i noticed it cause emby wouldn't start up. then i found that the emby folder was changed from system to system.old back many weeks ago when i was testing the beta vs the regular version. its happened 2 times in the past couple weeks. and this last time it restored the original system folder and the system.old. so i figured windows update broke the file history feature. nope its not on. so i call Gremlins... its times like this i decide ok im done with windows this is the last straw im switching to linux. but then i have so many programs that are windows based. 

anyways ive been rebooting pc allot lately working on that and event viewer errors. even though i did a fresh install of windows recently and only installed emby so far to keep it simple.. 

• Solution

You can disable the automatic restarting in server settings. Then you can restart at your own convenience.

joekingcool
13 hours ago, Luke said:

You can disable the automatic restarting in server settings. Then you can restart at your own convenience.

thank you i found it. i was looking at the dashboard that had a checkmark that i couldn't change. it was under settings. 

• Thanks 1