Can't get Emby to see any files in the mounted folder in TrueNAS

cmrho

Hi all. This is my first time setting up TrueNAS as well as Emby. So I'm a pretty novice NAS person. I do have a pretty extensive knowledge of Windows based systems and TCP stuff. I've researched my issue and nothing I do works. The problem is that Emby doesn't see any files in the mounted folder. I've checked many items and tried different things:

1) I tried shutting down the SMB share service, stopping the Emby jail, removing, re-adding the mount point, starting the SMB share service again - no joy.

2) I've checked permissions for the folder in TrueNAS, I think, and set the ACL to OPEN preset for all users. Still no joy.

3) I'm not sure whether the emby user login is the same as the TrueNAS login - I suspect it is not - but would love some clarification there.

4) Emby DLNA works fine. I can see it from my smart TV.

I think this is a permissions issue. I've tried to set all sorts of permissions for the ACL to 'Open', but nothing seems to work. I'd love some help from some experienced Emby and TrueNAS users. Thanks so much!

Is Emby in a Jail in Freenas, if so you have to go to the jail and get it to look at the Pool in Freenas which is outside the jail.

Jail menu, click Emby there will be an arrow on the right, click that to bring up the menu. There is Mount Points at the bottom to add the pool/s to the jail.

Edited by Townsey

Well it looks ok, what if you drill down further using the three dots and Edit ACL do the User and Group match you setup?

Of course your setup might well differ from mine.

Aaah I have notice one thing on the path you have media, but the pool is Test Dataset, which I believe you should add after media in the destination

image.png.74e3c5b1149750441944778535200e66.png

Edited by Townsey

Ok, I changed the mount point destination (attached image). And I checked the ACL permissions and set to Open. What thing I'm not clear on is the relationship between the Emby username and the freeNAS username. 

Screenshot 2023-12-29 105858.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-29 110017.jpg

I don't think the user name in Emby matters its an internal hand shake so to speak. Just a small point use lower case on the Emby side

I read somewhere a while ago capitals can upset the jail, not sure if that is still relevant, but make Movies lowercase.

The user name I blanked out is my user name to Truenas and Emby which are the same.

I run Version:  TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 The jail have been updated and I run a BETA version of Emby 4.8.0.64 but you would be better to start with 

the version in the Plugins Community area of Truenas which I presume is how you installed Emby. This sets up things you might well miss if

you construct a jail yourself. You can of course delete the jail and start again, nothing is lost out of the Truenas pool that is beauty of jails they

just access the data but do not write to the pool, but you can delete a film or folder from Emby of course, but you are controlling that.

I see you have made your group HOME mine is NOBODY, you might have got something wrong in that area, I am also no guru on Truenas.

So I kept things as simple as possible, my Emby has been running for 4 or 5 years now on different versions of Freebsd and now on Truenas

so I doubt Emby is your problem but as you suspect permissions within Truenas. Are you able to connect via your network direct to the Truenas

box with Windows File Explorer and access the folders and files. This is how I upload my new films or TV, and can run films direct to VLC play on the PC

without using Emby.

There must be others who have more knowledge than me to help so hang on in there. Its not a good time of the year so you might have to wait till 

the New Year.