AndroidTV App transcoding but Android App is fine (Nvidia Shield)

DJIemby

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get the AndroidTV app (2.0.99g) to stop transcoding on my Nvidia Shield.

If I play the same files on the standard Android app (3.2.90) it plays perfectly but prefer the layout of the AndroidTV app. The files are fine as its just not 1 particular file and happens on majority of my files through the AndroidTV app. Files play fine on computer through VLC and elsewhere too.

I am attaching 2 screenshots and my log file.

Any help appreciated as I read some users experienced this in the past.

1.JPG

2.JPG

embyserver.txt

GrimReaper

Adjust AndroidTV in-app streaming quality to some fixed numerical value (in your example, >35 Mbps), as its probably on "Auto". Or set it to max. available, if your network can handle it (likely). 

Edited by GrimReaper

Hi, its currently set to auto. Will change to max as its wired connection and and can handle it. will see if this fixes the issue on AndroidTV app.

33 minutes ago, DJIemby said:

Hi, its currently set to auto. Will change to max as its wired connection and and can handle it. will see if this fixes the issue on AndroidTV app.

Are you using a proxy or some other network setup that is making the app think it is on a remote connection?  Auto on the local LAN is the max.

Hi, no proxy running and just Gigabit ethernet so was set to auto like standard Android app. Both apps under same setup but AndroidTV app just transcodes.

GrimReaper
46 minutes ago, DJIemby said:

no proxy running and just Gigabit ethernet

Your screenshot shows AndroidTV client remote playback, as opposed to Android client local playback - either you're intentionally loopbacking or something in your network setup is interferring, as said:

1 hour ago, ebr said:

that is making the app think it is on a remote connection

Are you connecting through Emby Connect maybe? 

Edit: For reference (and why it's transcoding):

2023-12-28 16:13:22.805 Info App: User policy for DJIemby. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2023-12-28 16:13:22.906 Info App: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 12000000, RemoteIp: emby_remote_ip, IsInLocalNetwork: False
2023-12-28 16:13:22.908 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 35195014, max bitrate: 12000000
2023-12-28 16:13:22.908 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 35195014, max bitrate: 12000000

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

Thanks Luke, will install latest 'Emby for Android' and report back. Has layout changed changed drastically from version I have installed?

I do like the AndroidTV layout as it stands at the moment.

Hi GrimReaper, both screenshots were taken from my Emby iPhone app for illustrative purposes. I just noticed from IP address what you are saying

Edited by DJIemby

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, DJIemby said:

Hi GrimReaper, both screenshots were taken from my Emby iPhone app for illustrative purposes.

Doesn't matter where you've taken pictures from, that AndroidTV session is remote sesdion, as far as server sees it. I've just posted a snippet of your log where you can see that. 

js28194

You can tell by the pictures.... look at the IP Addresses, the first one is CLEARLY not on a local LAN.  213.48.235.114 is indicative of a remote connection, hence transcoding.  The second picture is clearly local LAN 192.168.1.30.

Local LAN ips are 99.9% either 192.xxx.xxx.xxx, 172.xxx.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx

Check your internet settings / connection.

Edited by js28194

Hi all. I have downloaded latest standard app but still not as fluent as AndroidTV app.

I have fixed the issue but is strange. If i connect to my Emby server from the link it sees on my network it seems to connect externally not locally. I just used the add manually option and did some tests and running 100% with no transcoding and all playing with 'Direct Play' as it is meant to. 

Thank you all for pointing out what i missed from screenshots and I got to where I wanted in the end.

16 hours ago, DJIemby said:

Hi all. I have downloaded latest standard app but still not as fluent as AndroidTV app.

I have fixed the issue but is strange. If i connect to my Emby server from the link it sees on my network it seems to connect externally not locally. I just used the add manually option and did some tests and running 100% with no transcoding and all playing with 'Direct Play' as it is meant to. 

Thank you all for pointing out what i missed from screenshots and I got to where I wanted in the end.

HI, why do you think it's not as fluent?

DJIemby
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, why do you think it's not as fluent?

Compared to the AndroidTV app. The layout of the standard app means I have to make more clicks to get to the same place and is slower to navigate. It is a good backup app but not a replacement to AndroidTV app I'm afraid.

I have fixed problem with AndroidTV app and had same problem on Xiaomi Mi Box too so adding server manually meant it connected locally and not externally as it does using Server name which appears.

Edited by DJIemby

16 hours ago, DJIemby said:

Compared to the AndroidTV app. The layout of the standard app means I have to make more clicks to get to the same place and is slower to navigate. It is a good backup app but not a replacement to AndroidTV app I'm afraid.

I have fixed problem with AndroidTV app and had same problem on Xiaomi Mi Box too so adding server manually meant it connected locally and not externally as it does using Server name which appears.

Where do you think you have to make more clicks?