Audio bitrate setting confirmation

AgostinoMedia

AgostinoMedia

Hi, I am just trying to confirm that if I set in Playback > Audio > Internet Quality to 192kbps (on Emby iOS) that this will indeed apply to music playback while using mobile data?

thanks

5 hours ago, AgostinoMedia said:

I have another question. What is the audio encoder Emby uses to transcode for mobile play? LAME / AAC / OPUS?

It depends. Usually aac, mp3 or ac3.

• Like 1

AgostinoMedia

What would it depend on? In my case, playing music. The difference would be significant for me if it's 192kbps MP3 or AAC. If Emby is transcoding using an AAC encoder than I would be able to choose a lower bitrate and save mobile data. But if it's using LAME (mp3) then I would not want to go lower than 192kbps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 1:31 PM, AgostinoMedia said:

What would it depend on? In my case, playing music. The difference would be significant for me if it's 192kbps MP3 or AAC. If Emby is transcoding using an AAC encoder than I would be able to choose a lower bitrate and save mobile data. But if it's using LAME (mp3) then I would not want to go lower than 192kbps.

Hi, on each platform it depends on what we've found to be the most reliable. Are you seeing cases of mp3 that you think we should reevaluate?

• Like 1

AgostinoMedia
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, on each platform it depends on what we've found to be the most reliable. Are you seeing cases of mp3 that you think we should reevaluate?

After doing a little research it seems MP3 is still the best choice over AAC strictly from a data usage perspective. Sound quality wise there is no difference. The only other alternative I have seen is OPUS, which would beat them both in terms of data usage but I have no experience using it myself as anything I play music on does not support the format.

I recently upgraded my phone's data plan (it's a bit pricier in Canada compared to other countries), so I will be able to make use of 320kbps streaming. However, when I was minding my data I would have liked to have the option of 160kbps, but the Emby iOS app went from 192 to 128. And I ended up choosing 128.

• Thanks 1

Yea the problem that we've run into with opus is that many devices have various problems with it even though they claim to support it. That makes it a difficult choice to use as a transcoding output.