Roku can't connect when outside server's LAN

dcruff

I'm now on my second Roku Express and not able to connect to my Emby Server when connected to a foreign WiFi (including a hotspot on my Samsung S22).  It connects perfectly when I choose my home WiFi, but when I hotspot from my Samsung phone I get this message (attached).  I have several family and friends that stream from my server every night without fail.  My Samsung S22 can also stream Emby over the internet from any location.  But, when I take my Roku to a remote location (that's why I purchased this Roku Express), I get a failed connection.
A Couple of years ago, I was able to take my Roku to a hotel and use it on their WiFi to access Emby, but not anymore.
All of the other internet-connected apps on the Roku work under all of these conditions - just not Emby.

20231227_114615.jpg

HI, are  you sure you have the correct server address? Can you try doing a manual connection to a new server by entering the address?

Update - I'm able to do a manual login and then it seems to go straight into the proper account on subsequent iterations.
I just wish that I could just use the same method of choosing the server as I do while connected locally.

Dave

12 minutes ago, dcruff said:

Update - I'm able to do a manual login and then it seems to go straight into the proper account on subsequent iterations.
I just wish that I could just use the same method of choosing the server as I do while connected locally.

Dave

The address that it needs to use to connect is different. That's why you need to reconfigure it when the network changes.

Our other apps on other platforms have better ability to automatically handle this, but as this is not a very typical situation for a Roku device we haven't done that with this app yet.

That's sad because the Roku is my favorite Emby client.  I'll have to remember to bring with me the External IP address  and login information when I take my 'Traveling' Roku on trips.

I also have a user in Canada who seems to have the same problem.  I'll get with him later today to try the manual login.

Dave

Hi.  Ensure that your Emby server is showing the proper WAN address on its dashboard.  IOW - exactly what you enter manually that works.

The WAN address on the dashboard is what I used to finally get Emby to work.  I was just hoping to select the proper server instead of having to type in an IP address.

8 hours ago, ebr said:

Are you using plain http or https?  And, is the proper protocol shown on that dashboard address?

The dashboard shows and http and that's what I used to get in.

Scott D

From what I am reading here, it sound like your IP address is dynamic.  Every time your IP changes the address on you, you'll need to copy it down and use the new one.

Setup a Dynamic DNS service (quite easy process).  Then it will no longer be an address using ###.###.###.###, it'll become yourname.???  Also, once it is setup properly, when the IP changes your IP Address, the Dyn DNS service will be updated as well.  Suggestion - make "yourname.???" something fairly simple and short as entering letters in some of the Emby apps can be a challenge.

33 minutes ago, Scott D said:

From what I am reading here, it sound like your IP address is dynamic.  Every time your IP changes the address on you, you'll need to copy it down and use the new one.

Setup a Dynamic DNS service (quite easy process).  Then it will no longer be an address using ###.###.###.###, it'll become yourname.???  Also, once it is setup properly, when the IP changes your IP Address, the Dyn DNS service will be updated as well.  Suggestion - make "yourname.???" something fairly simple and short as entering letters in some of the Emby apps can be a challenge.

Nope, my IP address never changes and most all of my friends and family who stream from me never have any issues.  Apparently, The Roku has an issue with me using it at home on my WiFi to set it up and then taking it on the road to connect to some other WiFi.  The solution was to use the IP address at that other location and enter it manually the first time, and then it will launch Emby normally after that. 
But, I like your idea of using a DNS to use a 'simple name' for the login.  I'll have to try that.  That should mean that when I've got a new user who's having issues, I should be able to just give him that 'simple name', right?

• 3 weeks later...
tedfroop21
On 29/12/2023 at 10:13, dcruff said:

But, I like your idea of using a DNS to use a 'simple name' for the login.  I'll have to try that. 

Works flawlessly - just add a note to install an updater on the pc that is your Emby server device to update the address on the DDNS should your address change.

I had an issue where the ISP's data centre had a fire and their backup was to cut everyone over to a parallel system, with all new addressing.  All that happened was my wife was disconnected from work for a few minutes.  Everything else reconnected without touching a thing, including Emby users.  Same thing when they switched back to the primary system.....

• Thanks 1