Auto discover linux server from emby apps

flios

Hi everyone, 

Sorry if the topic was asked multiple times already, I did my best to search but didn't find anything clear enough for my understanding. 

I recently migrated form emby server running on a Windows machine to an Unraid Docker (binhex-emby). I was able to get everything working without trouble, there a re a lot of resources available and now my new server is working perfectly. Just something annoys me: the apps (android, ios etc. ...) don't see the new Emby server automatically when I do "changer server".

• I still see the old one, and some test instances that I have on other Windows PC.
  • If I go manual and type machine name, it doesn't work. That is maybe a DNS issue, but it works from a web browser with this name on port 8096
  • If I type the ip address, then it works. The server is found (with a funny name like 12 numbers and letters)

I liked the idea of the server to be auto-discoverable. My guess is that the linux-based setup works differently than the Windows one. Anyone has a unraid/docker config with the auto server diecovery working ? Thanks for your help !

If I go manual and type machine name, it doesn't work. That is maybe a DNS issue, but it works from a web browser with this name on port 8096

Hi, we don't recommend this anyway as not all platforms support it. Better to just use ip address.

•  

I liked the idea of the server to be auto-discoverable. My guess is that the linux-based setup works differently than the Windows one. Anyone has a unraid/docker config with the auto server diecovery working ? Thanks for your help !

Hi, we already have this via upnp broadcasts.

Thank you for your answers!
So the fast that no the server do'sn't appear in the list when I try to select the server tends to tell that this upnp broadcast isn't working properly, in my particular case where Emby is a docker container running in Unraid. Is it something usual ? For me, nothing is usual as all it pretty new in this layout...

Is the docker container in host or bridge networking mode? This will be a lot easier to get working with host networking mode.

Also, can you try our official docker container? 

https://emby.media/docker-server.html

There could be something different about that other container that we're not aware of, therefore it's hard for us to troubleshoot it. 

flios

Hi, and happy new year ! 

So as suggested I switched from binhex emby container to the official one. As a positive side effect, I was able to enable hardware transcoding, which was not working at all with the binhex one. So I'm already a happy man !

Still no luck, anyway, with the upnp broadcast. When I use the emby app on ios, or android (I tested both), I don't see the server. But if I add manually with the IP address it works. That's maybe not a big deal, and I can live with it, but I would like to understand... 

Thanks !

Hi, Is the docker container in host or bridge networking mode? This will be a lot easier to get working with host networking mode.

flios

Well, the container is in bridge mode, as I'm using a reverse proxy to be able to use it securely from the outside. 

I just read in another post (from 2021) that the upnp discovery doesn't work in bridge mode. I guess that's the reason. If there's a trick to make it work, I'll give it a try, if not, I'll live with it, as I said it's not a big deal. 

Thank you !

• Thanks 1