Emby with VPN

Brianjohn
Go to solution Solved by CharlesAdrian,

Brianjohn

Hello. I have Emby remote working just fine until I turn on my vpn. I changed the address to connect to Emby but it never connects. Can anybody help?

Thank you, Bj

js28194

Functionally, if you turn on a VPN connection on your SERVER, your ip address will change to that of a VPN provider and will not work.  Unless your VPN provider provides with a static port (not 8096) which you will have to use.

What are you trying to accomplish by this?  Seems overly complicated.  Trying to hide your traffic from ISP?  Many easier ways to accomplish, such as reverse ssl proxy with caddy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution
CharlesAdrian

Here are some troubleshooting Options you can try to get the solution to your issue.

Option 1: Ensure you are using the correct address to connect to your Emby server after connecting to the VPN. This could be the VPN server's internal IP address, the public IP address assigned to the VPN connection, or the domain name you set up for Emby if applicable. 

Option 2: Verify that port-forwarding is properly configured on your router for the port Emby uses. The VPN might be blocking this port, so consider checking its settings for port-blocking options. 

Option 3: Check your firewall settings on both the server and client device to ensure they aren't blocking Emby's communication. 

Option 4: Some VPNs like NordVPN and PureVPN, offer split tunneling features, allowing specific applications to bypass the VPN tunnel. Enable split tunneling for Emby to avoid routing its traffic through VPN. 

Option 5:  Try connecting to different VPN server locations and see if that makes a difference. Some servers might be blocked by Emby or have stricter filtering rules. 

Try these options, if you will not get the solution from that then seek help from Emby's support team.