Backup of edited Emby server tags and images?

zenobit06
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

zenobit06

A few months ago I had to rebuild my Mac mini with a new operating system after an irreparable system crash ... much of the data was lost, including the "Emby server" with thousands of individually edited tags, images and infos.

Now I'm wondering whether I can create a backup of the edited Emby server data to prevent similar horror scenarios in the future, which can then be added to a newly installed server in an emergency. Is that even possible? And if so, which files from which folder do I have to copy in order to add them again later?

I am running "Emby" on an old Mac mini from the end of 2014 under macOS Catalina (Version 10.15.7).

zenobit06
2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Are you saving NFOs with your media? 

Sorry, but I don't know what NFOs is.

Edited by zenobit06

zenobit06

The emby server (937.3 MB in size) is located under HD/user/name. Of this, 806.6 MB belong to a subfolder called "metadata".

Is this perhaps the folder that contains the individually edited data, images and playlists of my music albums that I am looking for and which I should back up to a separate data carrier in order to be able to copy individually edited metadata back to the newly created emby server after a crash? 🤔

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-27 um 00.21.22.png

9 hours ago, zenobit06 said:

Sorry, but I don't know what NFOs is.

It's the option in each library to save nfo files next to your media files. This is one of the best ways to preserve custom edits.

• Agree 1

• Solution
4 hours ago, zenobit06 said:

The emby server (937.3 MB in size) is located under HD/user/name. Of this, 806.6 MB belong to a subfolder called "metadata".

Is this perhaps the folder that contains the individually edited data, images and playlists of my music albums that I am looking for and which I should back up to a separate data carrier in order to be able to copy individually edited metadata back to the newly created emby server after a crash? 🤔

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-27 um 00.21.22.png

Regarding the internal metadata folder, the best thing to do is follow our backup guidance and not try to work with the folders directly:

Configuration Backup

• Thanks 1

zenobit06
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Regarding the internal metadata folder, the best thing to do is follow our backup guidance and not try to work with the folders directly:

Configuration Backup

Thank you for the link to the backup guidance. 👍

• Thanks 1