Why is it always transcoding the audio? IT RUINED CHRISTMAS!

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

Well, Christmas RUINED!

Go to watch Christmas Vacation, a 32yr tradition and it won't play!  It's a 4k file with DTS-HD MA 5.1.  It's direct playing the video (4k HEVC HDR10 (78mbps), but transcoding the audio to AC3 384kbps.  It should also be directly playing it.  It's connected to my Nakamichi receiver that can play it just fine.

This is the first movie I've had issue with in a long time.  I'm playing an older movie now with DTS-HD MA 5.1 and it's also transcoding.  This one at least plays while Christmas Vacation is stuck hard.

Edited by Dizzy49

Dizzy49
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Which client app, as you haven't mentioned anywhere and posted under General/Windows server forum section. Also, you can provide ffmpeg logs for those sessions. 

Sorry, I had it in there and edited it and must have removed it.  It's using the LG TV App.

I need to see if I can find the logs,

HI, yes some 2023 LG models have added DTS support. The next update to the Emby LG app will include this.

I would say blame LG, not Emby, for making it really difficult to get new updates pushed to the store. It usually takes multiple submission attempts due to their tendency to reject for minor nonsensical reasons.

• Agree 1

Dizzy49
1 minute ago, Luke said:

HI, yes some 2023 LG models have added DTS support. The next update to the Emby LG app will include this.

I would say blame LG, not Emby, for making it really difficult to get new updates pushed to the store. It usually takes multiple submission attempts due to their tendency to reject for minor nonsensical reasons.

The LG isn't playing the audio, so why can't it just pass the audio through to the receiver?

4 minutes ago, Dizzy49 said:

The LG isn't playing the audio, so why can't it just pass the audio through to the receiver?

Because that's not supported either on previous LG models, and the current Emby LG app is based on that.

rbjtech
On 25/12/2023 at 18:57, Dizzy49 said:

Any LG TV 'App' cannot pass HD Audio (be it Dolby True HD or DTS-HD/DTS:X) via ARC (or E-ARC) - thus emby is being forced to transcode the Audio.

The only way to play HD Audio directly - is to connect something like an Nvidia Shield (Pro) directly to your AVR (via an HDMI In) and then emby will direct play everything in full HD Audio - making full use of the Nakamichi's capabiliities...

see - Atmos on LG TV | Emby Documentation

If you were connect via ARC - and your LG TV Supports/passes through DTS (non-HD), then it should have played that as DTS-HD contains a DTS 5.1 compressed track anyway.

Edited by rbjtech

• 3 weeks later...
yaksplat

Ugh... this is what I keep seeing on my new LG.  Tons of files that were fine before are now being transcoded.

My solution:  Tell the family that if it doesn't work on the native app, use AppleTV.  I've had one sitting around that I haven't used in 2 years.

Edited by yaksplat

2 hours ago, yaksplat said:

Ugh... this is what I keep seeing on my new LG.  Tons of files that were fine before are now being transcoded.

My solution:  Tell the family that if it doesn't work on the native app, use AppleTV.  I've had one sitting around that I haven't used in 2 years.

Hi there, did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

yaksplat

I saw it on the app on my phone, on manage server, that the audio was transcoding.

31 minutes ago, yaksplat said:

I saw it on the app on my phone, on manage server, that the audio was transcoding.

And has this answered your question?

Dizzy49
On 12/25/2023 at 12:02 PM, Luke said:

Because that's not supported either on previous LG models, and the current Emby LG app is based on that.

Will it ever support pass through audio?  I have a super nice audio setup that is not getting the love it deserves.  I'd rather not have to try to figure out how to get a Fire Cube, Shield TV or something (@yakplat Sorry, we don't do fruit in our house) to work.

12 minutes ago, Dizzy49 said:

Will it ever support pass through audio?

I guess that's a question for LG, right? 

• 3 weeks later...

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.41 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.