Could ffprobe timeout param be configured?

henryZZZZZ
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

henryZZZZZ

I use davfs to mount files from a WebDAV server to a local directory.

Emby server can scan these videos normally, but when using ffprobe to extract their video information, it reports an error: 'file:/media/webdav/aliyun/test/test.mp4: Input/output error'. This problem does not occur with videos stored on a local physical hard drive.

Could this be an issue with ffmpeg?

I don't know if I can help you but the same thing happened to me when I put my share drive and I ran out of bandwidth available from google drive so check if you make transfers regularly, perhaps via FTP if the transfer fails then it's the same error I was having

• 4 weeks later...
henryZZZZZ

Can the timeout duration be configured? I am using WebDAV mounting for a file size of 600MB, but with a speed of only 10MB/s, it is impossible to complete the ffprobe operation within 30 seconds.

henryZZZZZ
 I use davfs to mount files from a WebDAV server to a local directory.
Emby server can scan these videos normally, but when using ffprobe to extract their video information, it reports timeout.
Video file is about 700MB, but my server download speed is only 10MB/s . It is impossible to complete the ffprobe operation within 20-30 seconds.

Could ffprobe timeout param be configured?

I manually executed the command and the result was 1 minute and 10 seconds.

time ffprobe "/media/webdav/aliyun/emby/动漫/更新/狩龙人拉格纳/S01/狩龙人拉格纳.S01E12.mp4" -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_chapters -show_format -show_data
real    1m 10.71s
user    0m 0.04s
sys     0m 0.01s

Size of this video

du -s /media/webdav/aliyun/emby/动漫/更新/狩龙人拉格纳/S01/狩龙人拉格纳.S01E12
579801  /media/webdav/aliyun/emby/动漫/更新/狩龙人拉格纳/S01/狩龙人拉格纳.S01E12.mp4

embyserver.txt

henryZZZZZ

Thanks a lot for accepting my suggestions!

I still got some questions:

1. I've noticed that if ffprobe fails, I am unable to retrieve basic information about a video. At the same time, this video cannot record playback progress when played. Are these two issues related?
  2. It seems that once a video is successfully probed with ffprobe for the first time, subsequent probes do not occur. Is there a caching mechanism involved?
  3. If the second point is valid, then can I perform the ffprobe operation in advance on the server where the video files are stored (my video files and Emby server are on two different servers), and save the information to a file for Emby to read? This would replace the need for Emby to perform ffprobe operations. Is this approach feasible?

Hi, yes these are all connected because saving the progress requires knowing the runtime of the video, and that information is discovered during the media probe.

If the second point is valid, then can I perform the ffprobe operation in advance on the server where the video files are stored (my video files and Emby server are on two different servers), and save the information to a file for Emby to read? This would replace the need for Emby to perform ffprobe operations. Is this approach feasible?

Hi, currently there is no way to do this.

henryZZZZZ
On 12/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we'll increase the timeout for the next release. Thanks.

Hi Luke. I tried version 4.8.0.64 and was pleasantly surprised to find that the timeout for ffprobe has been increased from 30 seconds to 60 seconds, which solved most of the problems. However, when dealing with some larger video files, 60 seconds still seems a bit conservative.

Is it possible to make this timeout value configurable, allowing users to set it freely?

solved:
/media/webdav/aliyun/emby/动漫/完结/银魂/S01/银魂.S01E03.mkv

still time out:
/media/webdav/aliyun/emby/动漫/更新/石纪元/S03/石纪元.S03E20.mp4
/media/webdav/aliyun/emby/动漫/更新/石纪元/S03/石纪元.S03E12.mp4

embyserver.txt

• Thanks 1