Emby Connect can't talk to server

Blam84
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Emby Server installed. Port 8096 opened in Windows Firewall settings, and when I try to add the Emby server to Emby connect, I get the "unable to reach server" error. Even when I disable Windows Firewall completely, I still get the error. I am using the LAN access addresses showing in the dashboard settings. 

I really *want* to use Emby, but if I can't connect to the server, I am dead in the water. Can anyone help?

Hello ericjdaniels84,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi, are you doing this from inside your local network? What are the full contents of the error message that you get?

I am doing this on the computer where I setup the Emby server, inside my local network, connected to the same router I was connected to when I setup Emby. This is the error I get:

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.

If you're trying to connect to an http address, your browser may not be allowing this. You may want to try one of the following:

• Solution

OK, so those are two solutions. Did you try them? If you can't do either of them or don't like either of them, then a third would be to just access your server's built-in web interface directly.

Just put the server address in the browser address bar and hit enter.

Edit: I am able to access the server by putting the server address into the browser bar, but still can't access it using Emby Connect.

Thanks again for the reply. When I type the server address into the address bar, I still can't connect. I am typing in 192.xxx.x.xxx which is shown on the settings page for the Emby dashboard. I also turned off the firewall completely, so I am not sure how that would be impacting this. 

Also - I did not try the https route because, honestly, that is way more complex than I am interested in going. And I am trying to access app.emby.media and add my server, but again, it can't connect.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by ericjdaniels84

but still can't access it using Emby Connect.

For this you have to do one of those two bullet points above. There's no getting around this anymore because the browsers are getting more strict about what is allowed and not allowed via https.