User Profiles

Mfurman

Hello

I currently am considering switching from Plex over to Emby, the only thing keeping me from making the switch is that on Plex, I am able to create multiple profiles and setup a family members device to sign into my server and their watch history stays under their profile and user name, on emby I do not see an option to be able to do this. I want to be able to keep my account separate from my family who uses my server as well and all of us live in different homes, on plex I get a code to link their device to my server then they click on their user name to login in. How am I able to do this on Emby?

@Luke I think I figured it out, my only other issue is that I have some movies that I have multple versions of the movie I.E 1080p and 2160p. Is there a way to get Emby to auto merge them without doing every file manually? Plex automatically merges the file versions together 

GrimReaper
3 hours ago, Mfurman said:

I have some movies that I have multple versions of the movie I.E 1080p and 2160p. Is there a way to get Emby to auto merge them without doing every file manually?

You can use community plugin:

@GrimReaper

after reading the thread you posted, I’m using the stable version of emby, will that plugin work with it? And I am using Emby on a Qnap NAS, I’m not sure how I’d add this plugin to Emby on the Qnap NAS. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated 

GrimReaper
34 minutes ago, Mfurman said:

I’m using the stable version of emby, will that plugin work with it?

Yes. 

34 minutes ago, Mfurman said:

And I am using Emby on a Qnap NAS, I’m not sure how I’d add this plugin to Emby on the Qnap NAS.

Place the .dll into programdata\plugins folder, location of which you can find in three-dot menu next to server name in the Dashboard. Not a QNAP user, so wouldn't know whether you'll need to SSH into your NAS. 

@GrimReaperso I found out I have to use putty to add it in. I am having issues doing so though. I’m able to log into my NAS through putty but once I’m in, I don’t an option to excite the command that I found in the thread you shared with me. 

@ebrwouldnt I need to go back and rename all the files then? Not sure what you are referring to. With plex, I add another version of a movie and it automatically combines the files and merges them on their own. I want to set emby to do same. 

Just now, Mfurman said:

I add another version of a movie and it automatically combines the files and merges them on their own. I want to set emby to do same.

Hi.  We will do the same if you follow our naming conventions when you add that movie.

Movie Naming

@ebrmy dilemma is I’m taking a pre existing library with 5000 movies in it. And looking to replace plex with Emby due to liking some of the features that Emby offers that plex does not namely integrating iptv into the app. I am looking for something to auto organize my existing files so I do not have to go and change all the duplicate files. 

GrimReaper
13 hours ago, Mfurman said:

@GrimReaperso I found out I have to use putty to add it in. I am having issues doing so though. I’m able to log into my NAS through putty but once I’m in, I don’t an option to excite the command that I found in the thread you shared with me. 

As said, not a QNAP user but should be similar to Syno, you just need to copy plugin .dll file, here are some topics that might offer some guidance:

• Thanks 1

@GrimReaperthank you I figured out how to do it on my device, your able to create the emby server program files as a shared folder inside the NAS software. And once I loaded the .dll file it went to work, already merged all the files. I appreciate your help 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Mfurman

@GrimReaper i recently moved my server to a PC ran machine that uses Windows 11 Pro, I am having trouble finding the emby programdata folder to place auto collections in it, any tips?

GrimReaper

You can check your paths under Dashboard>three-dot menu next to server name>View Server Info. 

image.png.537623593696ca7b10a87934e6b773b7.png

Mfurman

@GrimReaperi found it, i added it to the program data folder for plugins, i restarted emby. I don’t see it running. 

2 hours ago, Mfurman said:

@GrimReaperi found it, i added it to the program data folder for plugins, i restarted emby. I don’t see it running. 

Hi, where are you looking for it?

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, Mfurman said:

Will need to see a startup log but could be a permissions issue dropping this dll on certain platforms.

Mfurman

@Happy2Play I am running emby on windows 11 pro PC. I dropped it into the program data plugins folder. I restarted plex, went to plugins under settings I see auto collections there. I ran it, and it did not run, it ran for 2 seconds. None of my movies were auto grouped together. 

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Mfurman said:

@Happy2Play I am running emby on windows 11 pro PC. I dropped it into the program data plugins folder. I restarted plex, went to plugins under settings I see auto collections there. I ran it, and it did not run, it ran for 2 seconds. None of my movies were auto grouped together. 

Can you post the server log.  But the task itself only task seconds.