Closed Captioning doesn't work on Android phone apps or Macbook

RickPaq

I submitted this issue several years ago and had to abandoned Emby primarily because it offered no closed captioning support for Android phones and other devices except Windows.  The CC option is there, but it simply doesn't work. Upon returning I find there is still no closed captioning support for Android phones.  There is also no closed captioning for the Apple app for the Macbook.  Captioning DOES work fine in Windows and on the Amazon Firestick.

Is there an interest to fix this in the future?  I prefer Emby over Channels or Plex, which both do captioning well, because it runs smoothly on even a laptop.  But for me, captioning isn't optional.  Thanks.

js28194

Terminology matters...  CC is provided by OTA/Cable channel in real time, which I test and works fine on Mobile Devices and SHEILD, both with KODI and EMBY app. I have HDHomeruns for live OTA and tested on friend who has Cable with HDHomerun on Cable with CableCard. 

Subtiles are different, which depends on how YOU embbeded it in your own media.

Clarify please.

Edited by js28194

Closed Captioning and I also use HDHomerun.   I’m using the Emby app on my Samsung Note 20 plus and there’s no closed captioning.  The closed captioning button does nothing. I DO get closed captioning using Channels, PLEX and the HDhomerun app on that same phone.  If someone can confirm that this should not be a problem, I’ll try further with other android devices. 

js28194

Not sure what to say. I have Nvidia Sheild using kodi and nextpvr as backend.  I have 1 HDhomrune 4k and 2 older versions.  I testing on my Google Pixel XL 2 with Android App, and Sheild with Android TV, everything checks out fine for me.

Ok, I moved Emby from a Windows server over to NVidia Shield Pro.  I can report now that the closed captioning works both via the Shield, my Android phone and my MAC. So the only difference is that I'm now using Emby made for an Android server, vs. a Windows server.  Well, I'm happy now so this is now a closed issue for me. 

Ok, I moved Emby from a Windows server over to NVidia Shield Pro.  I can report now that the closed captioning works both via the Shield, my Android phone and my MAC. So the only difference is that I'm now using Emby made for an Android server, vs. a Windows server.  Well, I'm happy now so this is now a closed issue for me. 

I will add though that to obtain the closed captioning on my phone that I have to turn it off, then turn it on each time I view a video. That's not a big deal for me.

Emby ran fine on my Win7 machine, and captioning would work on some clients but not others.  Captioning was never an issue if the client and server were on the same platform.  Currently both server and client are on the Nvidia Shield Pro, so that's probably why it works. 

As to mobile clients, the fact that you have to turn the closed captioning off, then back on each time to get it to work, indicates a minor issue, but it DOES work, so the extra step is no big deal.  Emby is also captioning some of my other raw video's in my library that never had captioning. Quite pleased.

js28194

Again, not sure what to say.  My server is dedicated server Core i7, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Graphics (with modified drivers) and I have 4 Nividia Sheild Clients, granted running Kodi as front end and never have an issue with CC nor any issue with Subtitles. 

Captioning is built into OTA stream or Cable Channel Stream, Subtitles baked in or embeded or download from subtitles.org.

But ok if you are ok it works for you.