Unraid Permissions Issue

SDurb96
Go to solution Solved by SDurb96,

Howdy,

Referring to my embyserver.txt log (here: https://pastebin.com/7BBu6XvZ), I see the following error: "System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/mnt/movies/*** (2005)/*** (2005).nfo' is denied."

I am using the official, and latest, emby docker for unraid. I am aware that this is a permissions issue, however, I haven't been able to figure out how to solve it.

Running ls -l on the top level directory, I see the following:

image.png.c2de434bdbb43fa6f31374867db149cc.png

Running ls -l on the movies directory, I see the following:

image.png.717a416d347e2f08f53228166c292a87.png

When I run groups emby, I receive "groups: 'emby': no such user.

I understand that the issue at hand is that Emby doesn't have permission to write to the folders in /movies/, and I've even come across the related forum post that Luke often replies with to related issues (here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32218-file-permissions-guide-for-new-linux-users/). However, I am new to linux and do not understand which user I should be assigning the /movies/ permissions to resolve this issue. Please advise.

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, unraid is Docker based. Does this similar question help you?

Not really. I'm not sure who should be the owner of the folders for emby to have access and I'm not sure how to set the default permission to said user in a manner where future directories made reflect the same permissions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

seanbuff

Hi, for some reason your top level 'movies' folder has different permissions to the subfolders. 'admin' vs 'nobody'

In UnRAID, the default is 'nobody' ...and the PUID and PGID of this account are used as the defaults for docker containers (you do not need a local Emby account, docker handles this):
What do you have set on your Emby docker settings for these? (Show more settings...)

image.png.51c17720849a041f61d6e2b8ad9678f4.png

It's probably being blocked by the 'admin' account having a different PUID than 99 (nobody)

You can check this with:

root@unraid:# cat /etc/passwd
nobody:x:99:100:nobody:/:/bin/false

Admin will show as a different value

You could try installing 'Fix Common Problems' from the UnRAID Community Apps store, it comes with a tool called 'New Docker Safe Perms' (not to be confused with the standard "New Permissions" tool which could mess up your dockers as it touches /appdata -- don't run that one)

^ not sure if this will fix the ownership, or just the permissions ...but worth a shot.

Let us know how you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Solution
15 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Hi, for some reason your top level 'movies' folder has different permissions to the subfolders. 'admin' vs 'nobody'

In UnRAID, the default is 'nobody' ...and the PUID and PGID of this account are used as the defaults for docker containers (you do not need a local Emby account, docker handles this):
What do you have set on your Emby docker settings for these? (Show more settings...)

image.png.51c17720849a041f61d6e2b8ad9678f4.png

It's probably being blocked by the 'admin' account having a different PUID than 99 (nobody)

You can check this with:

root@unraid:# cat /etc/passwd
nobody:x:99:100:nobody:/:/bin/false

Admin will show as a different value

You could try installing 'Fix Common Problems' from the UnRAID Community Apps store, it comes with a tool called 'New Docker Safe Perms' (not to be confused with the standard "New Permissions" tool which could mess up your dockers as it touches /appdata -- don't run that one)

^ not sure if this will fix the ownership, or just the permissions ...but worth a shot.

Let us know how you go.

Got it fixed!

1. I used Fix Common Problem's "Docker Safe New Perms" tool to set all existing folders to "drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users" and verified that Emby can read/write metadeta in those folders.
  2. Additionally, my emby container had UID, GID, and GIDLIST set to the default of "2, 2, 2". I've changed this to "99, 100, 2" and verified new folders being created with drwxrwxr-x 1 nobody users and that emby can read/write metadata in those folders.

P.S.: That's the best way to spell Sean ;)

Thanks!

Edited by SDurb96
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1