Diagonal Green Lines MPEG2VIDEO??

Darren & Gemma

Darren & Gemma

Hi.

I recently bought a new Fire TV Stick, and bumped into the diagonal green lines issue again. It even appear when I played a live TV channel.

I've searched the forum, and found other posts about it, but they are talking about 4K content, I'm just trying to play 576i video. 

It's happened on 2 different videos, and the only coincidence is the 576i resolution and that the video codec is MPEG2VIDEO. 

Is this a know issues or limitation of Emby or the ATV Fire Stick (3rd Gen)? I assume an ATV issue, as the same videos have no issue when playing to a Samsung S series mobile device.

I've attached a picture with the Nerd stats and also the server log.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

20231218_141455.jpg

ffmpeg-transcode-17ab1ae4-f36a-49b3-bf2b-53400affe42b_1.txt embyserver.txt

Why do you think that disables transcoding? It disables hardware acceleration when transcoding.

Anyway can you please provide a log example after doing that? Thanks.

Darren & Gemma
33 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why do you think that disables transcoding? It disables hardware acceleration when transcoding.

Anyway can you please provide a log example after doing that? Thanks.

Because you told me to disable, there is no 'disable transcoding' in the Server Transcoding settings, that's the only thing in there I can 'disable'....?

Screenshot_20231219_190254_Chrome.jpg

Darren & Gemma

Do you want me to disable trancoding at the user level, I assume that's the only place it can actually be 'disabled??

Hi.  No, he meant to do what you did.  Can you please provide the ffmpeg and server logs from after you did that?

The issue is the resolution.  The fire devices don't handle certain "strange" resolutions well.

Darren & Gemma
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  No, he meant to do what you did.  Can you please provide the ffmpeg and server logs from after you did that?

The issue is the resolution.  The fire devices don't handle certain "strange" resolutions well.

That's very odd, because I have 2nd Gen Firesticks in my house, and only the 3rd Gen (for which I have one) is giving me the issue.

Let me generate a log file from 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen Firestick from the same server and same video file, and share tomorrow. 👍

• Thanks 1

Darren & Gemma

Hi @Luke, @ebr

Here are 2 log files. One from the older Gen 2 Firestick, this plays the file no issue. Then the Gen 3 firestick log, where it caused the diagonal green lines.

Ive played the sames file from the same server on the same network. The only difference is the 2nd and 3rd Gen hardware?

20231226_170607.jpg

20231226_171108.jpg

20231226_171155.jpg

embyserver (Gen 3 Firestick).txt embyserver (Gen 2 Firestick).txt

1 hour ago, Darren & Gemma said:

The only difference is the 2nd and 3rd Gen hardware?

Well the OS versions on the devices are different too.  Are they both the same resolution?

There should have been an ffmpeg log at least with the playback you showed the screen shot for.

If you hit "Playback Correction" in the cog menu, does it correct it?

Darren & Gemma

The resolutions on the firesticks are both set to Automtic.

I change the 3rd Gen to 1080p 60hz and 50hz and neither made any difference.

What do the logs suggest? 

4 hours ago, Darren & Gemma said:

What do the logs suggest? 

They don't really suggest anything.  The problem is at the display level on the Fire device.  We've seen it before and it is related to an "odd" resolution.  @softworkzmay remember exact specifics.

Darren & Gemma

Received an email to say @softworkzhad replied, but cannot see it? I can see the comment in the email. Selecting playback correction twice doesnt do anything. The first time gives you an error 'too many errors, giving up'. It then proceeds to start the next video file in the series of episodes of the programme.

GrimReaper

Nah, that was me, didn't look at the previous pictures in detail, just saw remux log beneath last one, thought OP just triggered remux/selected Playback Correction once whereas it was already DirectStreaming hence it was a failed transcode. 

Darren & Gemma

Yes sure, I can do that. I'm away at the moment, won't be able to do it until I'm back on the 30th.

Will report back then. Thanks

Some players require the width to be a multiple of 16 or 32. In this case it's 720, which is a multiple of 16 but not of 32, so that might be an explanation. On the other side, 720x576 is not an uncommon format. Players often have some extra handling of such known formats at least, which do not satisfy the criteria. I can't really say. It would be possible to find out by experiment. When transcoding, you an use the diagnostics plugin to modify the ffmpeg command and change the scaling filter to different output resolutions. This would allow to find a definite answer.

Hi.  Did you have the option to de-interlace on the server set in the TV app?