Mark Played button on rewatching items

jashwa

Right now, episodes and movies that have any progress only have the ability to Mark Unplayed directly.

image.png.dd66029a472639da4a2fff02a39821c4.png

There are multiple instances where an item may have progress but need to be marked as watched:

• The threshold for the library doesn't cover that particular episode or movie
  • The show or movie is something that someone watches or rewatches often but does not care about finishing if interrupted
  • An episode is started and then the watcher realized they have actually seen that episode already

Currently, the only solution is to mark as Unplayed and then mark as Played. While this is not terrible from the episode or movie detail page, it is particularly frustrating from Continue Watching. First episodes and movies will drop off the Continue Watching section immediately which means they must then be searched for to correctly mark as played (it is also worth mentioning that back to back calls for the same item for Unplayed and Played sometimes collide on very large libraries).

Ideally, there would be a button in the context menu for Mark Played for in-progress items on both Home and in the detail page.

image.png.f73b071f3461c96ca5fb746a8c440b73.png

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 2

GrimReaper

Are you referring to episodes that are already watched/marked Played? As I can't reproduce that neither on 4.7.14.0 stable nor 4.8.0.62 beta except on an marked-Played episode rewatch in progress where, honestly, I prefer having Mark Unplayed only. 

Edited by GrimReaper

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, jashwa said:

Currently, the only solution is to mark as Unplayed and then mark as Played. While this is not terrible from the episode or movie detail page, it is particularly frustrating from Continue Watching. First episodes and movies will drop off the Continue Watching section immediately which means they must then be searched for to correctly mark as played

You can also left-click instead of right-click on episode thumb, which'll take you to episode detail screen where you can mark Played/Unplayed as you like and single Back click will return you to Home screen - it's 3 clicks vs. 2 clicks, not much difference there. 

4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Are you referring to episodes that are already watched/marked Played? As I can't reproduce that neither on 4.7.14.0 stable nor 4.8.0.62 beta except on an marked-Played episode rewatch in progress where, honestly, I prefer having Mark Unplayed only. 

I'm talking about in progress items. 

4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

You can also left-click instead of right-click on episode thumb, which'll take you to episode detail screen where you can mark Played/Unplayed as you like and single Back click will return you to Home screen - it's 3 clicks vs. 2 clicks, not much difference there. 

Are you saying that there is a Mark Played button on an in progress item on the detail page? Included a picture below but if so, I'm not seeing it. Resume, Play From Beginning, and "Played" which would mark as unplayed are the only options I see regarding playing or play state.

As to the number of clicks, couldn't the same be true about any of the options in the context menu, particularly Mark Unplayed? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but feels pretty standard to have Mark Played as an option next to Mark Unplayed for a partially played item. Why would Unplayed always make sense and be a top level action but Played would not? There are other options in that context menu that make way more sense for the detail page as they have nothing to do with playback such as Edit Metadata, Refresh Metadata, and Edit Images. Unlike those options, Mark Played would be specifically maintaining the continue watching section by moving the next episode into continue watching.

image.thumb.png.fd6418bf36d794a8c769e4875e94ea1f.png

GrimReaper
36 minutes ago, jashwa said:

I'm talking about in progress items. 

And I've asked:

5 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Are you referring to episodes that are already watched/marked Played?

since in your screenshot thumbnail was obstructed so Played mark couldn't be seen and you've made it sound as if it applies to all in-progress items. As per your second screenshot: yes, you are talking about already watched/marked Played items in progress (in other words: a re-watch), as said:

5 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

As I can't reproduce that neither on 4.7.14.0 stable nor 4.8.0.62 beta except on an marked-Played episode rewatch in progress

36 minutes ago, jashwa said:

Are you saying that there is a Mark Played button on an in progress item on the detail page?

There's Played buton, in your scenario click it twice and it'll be marked Played again with progress bar cleared. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, jashwa said:

Why would Unplayed always make sense and be a top level action but Played would not?

Because on Unplayed items you get Mark Played and vice versa, on Played items you get Mark Unplayed. 

6 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

And I've asked:

since in your screenshot thumbnail was obstructed so Played mark couldn't be seen and you've made it sound as if it applies to all in-progress items. As per your second screenshot: yes, you are talking about already watched/marked Played items in progress (in other words: a re-watch), as said:

There's Played buton, in your scenario click it twice and it'll be marked Played again with progress bar cleared. 

I'm talking about partially played items. Not played items.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, jashwa said:

I'm talking about partially played items. Not played items.

I really don't know how else to explain it. If you have Unplayed item in progress - you'll get Mark Played option in the dropdown. If you have already Played (checkmark in the upper right corner and Played button colored in detail screen) item in progress (on rewatch), you'll get Mark Unplayed in the dropdown. 

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

I really don't know how else to explain it. If you have Unplayed item in progress - you'll get Mark Played option in the dropdown. If you have already Played (checkmark in the upper right corner and Played button colored in detail screen) item in progress (on rewatch), you'll get Mark Unplayed in the dropdown. 

I'm aware of the current functionality. You do not, and never did, need to explain it. This was supposed to be a feature request. This is not a help request. If there is a different place to post feature requests, please let me know.

One last attempt at explaining my reasoning, which no one needs to agree with but folks can read and decide if they're interest. I see partially played (between the played and unplayed thresholds) as neither played nor unplayed (or both). Emby also sees it as both. Played items show mark as unwatched and are not found in the continue watching. Unplayed are show mark as watched and show in the continue watching. Partially played show mark unplayed, but show in the continue watching (mixed state).

Personally, I much more often have an episode or movie that I started but I am done with than an episode or movie that I started but want to unstart.

I agree in a perfect world both functions would be available. We just kind of have an already over-stuffed menu as it is so it's trying to pick the one you're most likely going to need.

But maybe if we had submenus then you could hover over one and then get a submenu to pick one of the two.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper

I'm not disputing your FR, it's completely valid hence it's still in this forum and not moved into any support forum. But you need to specify to which kind of items it applies. 

Therefore my first question was:

12 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

since you've made it ambiguous, as per:

8 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

your screenshot thumbnail was obstructed so Played mark couldn't be seen and you've made it sound as if it applies to all in-progress items. As per your second screenshot: yes, you are talking about already watched/marked Played items in progress (in other words: a re-watch)

As Played/Unplayed items exhibit different behaviour in CW row. All that was needed was clarification: Yes, it applies to already Played items only. 

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

I agree in a perfect world both functions would be available. We just kind of have an already over-stuffed menu as it is so it's trying to pick the one you're most likely going to need.

But maybe if we had submenus then you could hover over one and then get a submenu to pick one of the two.

That makes sense. As a former UX designer and current staff software engineer, information overload is definitely a real concern.

I like this sub menu idea a lot actually, especially if it's hover based with the primary behavior still being the click behavior. In fact, implementing that would allow some additional clutter clean up. I'm thinking download vs download to, edit metadata/images/subtitles and of course, for me, mark unplayed/played. Another benefit would be allowing the home context menu and the details context menu to align better as space is less of a concern. Would love to be able to download or download to right from the home screen for things I've started.

Maybe it is best I start a new thread specifically around context menu options and organization as this one has a lot of back and forth that I don't think will be helpful to others who may be interested, but obviously don't want to spam the feature request section. @GrimReaperif you like the suggestion of recreating the feature request with more clearly stated goals and a broader target, would you be able to archive this post

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, jashwa said:

GrimReaperif you like the suggestion of recreating the feature request with more clearly stated goals and a broader target, would you be able to archive this post

No need, I've just edited Topic title, that should be enough for any member interested in/reading this thread. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

No need, I've just edited Topic title, that should be enough for any member interested in/reading this thread. 

Thanks! I'll try to mock up these new context menu ideas (with some wider context around them) and post them here later this week.