Playback issues on Nokia Streaming Box 8000 (Android TV)

CChris

Hi,
This year, I replaced my Google ChromeCase with a Nokia Streaming Box 8000 based on Android TV.

It was working quite well for some time, but with a growing collection of media, I noticed an growing amount of files that could not be streamed.
I am using the emby app directly on the Box - and get only a black screen...

After searching for some similar issues here in the forum, I was able to find a possible pattern.
It appears, that mostly media with DTS Audio is affected.
AC and EAC seems to work fine...

Sometimes, I can use the ChromeCast built in functionality of the Box - but there are cases, where this also fails.

The strange thing here for me is, that playback of the affected videos directly on my phone (also using the Andoid app) and within the browser and with Emby Theatre on my Windows Computer is working fine and without any issues.

I will try to setup another test for collecting some logs to compare the cases, because the last logs are quite mixed with different playbacks over different devices.
But maybe, issues with DTS Audio playback are already known?

3 hours ago, CChris said:

But maybe, issues with DTS Audio playback are already known?

What is that box?  Where did it come from?  Does it actually support DTS?

Hi @ebr- thanks for your reply.

it's basically one of the many android tv streaming boxes that are available...
I am honest: I haven't found much out about the supported audio formats for this box - but it sis possible, that this version does not support DTS... (there's a newer version available, that should - at laeast what I read - have support for DTS)...

But... should this completely block the playback of the media?
I mean - the worst case should probably be to have a video without audio... ? or not?
And - as far as I got, DTS should be transcoded to Dolby Digital Plus 5.1

Maybe, that would also be an Transcoding option to set in Emby?
I haven't seen such a setting for audio transcoding...

Hi Luke,

Thanks. I sideloaded the Android App And tried one of the movies I Had issues with.

No Change. It still doesn't Play Back the Media.

I have already ordered the newer Hardware for which I found the information that DTS should be supported and will gibe it a try with this one.

I will Report Back when I have more information

bandit8623

8000 only does -Dolby Digital Plus

8010 lists Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, DTS

instead of buying more hardware though you should just turn on bitstreaming/passthrough to see if the playback works.  on my shield i can selects what outputs my tv/ soundbar can decode.  just have any dts content transcoded by the server to something playable...

Edited by bandit8623

22 hours ago, CChris said:

But... should this completely block the playback of the media?

The issue is probably that the box has an incomplete implementation and is reporting to the app that DTS is supported when it really isn't.  There may be settings in the device itself for you to turn off DTS.  Also look in the playback settings in the Android TV app.  If there are checkboxes there to allow DTS pass thru, uncheck them.

Thanks all.
I will try this - and have a look, where those settings might be hidden :)

Anyway - before I bought this box - I also thought on buying the 8010 but I wanted to give it a try with the cheaper one first... ;)
So replacing the box was already on my 'todo list' but I didn't wanted to run into the situation to replace it and have potentially the same issues again.

This discussion gave some more input and insight.
Thanks a lot.

I will update, if I found something and could improve this :)

Update:

With the feedback from @bandit8623I've tried to setup the Audio on the older Streaming box.
It appears, that this box does not provide any option for changing how to handle these cases.
I could not set passthrough or what ever.

Today, the newer Box (8010) received and after the basic setup, the first thing I noticed was, that one of my affected movies was playing.
BUT - it appeared to be without sound.

On the newer device, there are more advanced Audio-Options - so I tried it with "passthrough" - which is now working just as expected.

The other improvement is the speed of the newer 8010...

• Like 2