Android tv wont play 4K Dolby Vision HEVC on latest build

bandit8623

RanmaCanada

You can easily use the tool that they used to stip the layer and bring it back to the original file.  Or you can continue to complain about stuff you obviously don't seem to understand.

Your choice.

bandit8623
2 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

You can easily use the tool that they used to stip the layer and bring it back to the original file.  Or you can continue to complain about stuff you obviously don't seem to understand.

Your choice.

I don't want to take out the layer I want dv to also work on devices that support it.  Go troll another forum.

I'm also not complaining. I'm reporting bugs.  You sir seem to like to give opinions when they are not wanted.

------

image.png.01cbde7256cc3d66c6da5541166fb732.png

plex fixed this in july last year

https://forums.plex.tv/t/files-with-both-hdr10-dovi-profile-8-1-metadata-show-blank-black-screen/831617/134

Edited by bandit8623

bandit8623
Just now, RanmaCanada said:

Thanks for just proving my point.  

Ciao.

I proved its a bug that can be fixed.  

bandit8623
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Right it's this issue here: https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/11096

Plex is also using exoplayer and so clearly they must have done the work on their copy of exoplayer and they're not sharing it. (which is fine, we do that sometimes too).

So you guys know i use emby for 99.9% of my playback.  only time i use plex is when something doesnt work.  im not trying to hate on you guys.  i just want to help make things work.  sometimes other users come in here and get all mad im mentioning plex or something... 

anyway let me know if there is anything else you need from me on this.   

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/24584

Edited by bandit8623

14 hours ago, bandit8623 said:

I proved its a bug that can be fixed.  

Hi.  This isn't a bug from our or Exo's standpoint.  It is in the device firmware.  The only thing we and/or Exo could do is write some special code to try and work around the problem in the firmware.  I'm pretty confident Google will never do that for Exo so we would have to do it ourselves until the underlying issue is corrected.

• Agree 1

hjason7812
On 1/27/2024 at 2:50 PM, hjason7812 said:

I found out that emby plays dv but only certain ones. But the files need to be played with the automatic setting for quality that way emby plays them directly..

Also noticed even though the file is dv it won't always play them. It plays files that are fel just fine but anything else it doesn't play dv at all just hdr.. so there's something missing in the emby package where it doesn't want to play dv on Mel and other files only fel ones. 

Oh but it is on your end because the app is the issue where it doesn't play dolby vision content. When you play videos through an external player through emby's dlna server it works fine but when on the app it doesn't. I don't know why it's so hard to get dolby vision to play flawlessly. I mean atmos plays perfectly why not vision? 

RanmaCanada
40 minutes ago, hjason7812 said:

Oh but it is on your end because the app is the issue where it doesn't play dolby vision content. When you play videos through an external player through emby's dlna server it works fine but when on the app it doesn't. I don't know why it's so hard to get dolby vision to play flawlessly. I mean atmos plays perfectly why not vision? 

Because DolbyVision is 100% proprietary with multiple levels of profiles and not every device supports every profile.  When you start playing with things like the DVVT Tool (which the release group of OP's pirated content did), it breaks things, and this is what people don't understand.  People complaining that their frankenstein formats don't work when they don't conform to standards is the definition of ignorance.  As someone who has been encoding media for over 30 years at this point, DV is the most convoluted codec currently in existence.  Hardware only has so much support baked in, and playing anything outside of that will break it.  It's why Plex strips layers on the fly and had to create their own custom build of ExoPlayer as it is not standard to do thus.

bandit8623
1 hour ago, RanmaCanada said:

Because DolbyVision is 100% proprietary with multiple levels of profiles and not every device supports every profile.  When you start playing with things like the DVVT Tool (which the release group of OP's pirated content did), it breaks things, and this is what people don't understand.  People complaining that their frankenstein formats don't work when they don't conform to standards is the definition of ignorance.  As someone who has been encoding media for over 30 years at this point, DV is the most convoluted codec currently in existence.  Hardware only has so much support baked in, and playing anything outside of that will break it.  It's why Plex strips layers on the fly and had to create their own custom build of ExoPlayer as it is not standard to do thus.

None of that actually matters.  you keep repeating this.  but it doesnt matter.

The fact is there are these files are in existence (and probably not going away).  All we need is a stance made by Emby and its staff.  If emby decides to not put in the time  to get this to work then fine! No big deal... Probably then should put a banner that says we dont support this file type.  Then the  consumer can make a decision on what they want to do.  

Consumers just want ANY media they have to play.  simple as that.  If it wont play then subs will have to make a decision to not download those files or go with another service.

rbjtech
13 hours ago, hjason7812 said:

This has been answered multiple times - maybe do a search on these forums or Google as to why - it is not an 'emby' issue.

Emby plays DV perfectly well - you simply need to know the limitations of your equipment and get a source that is compatible with it.

Same answer with Dolby Atmos actually - Only a small percentage of users actually have the equipment to properly play 'Dolby Atmos' - there is a rather large difference between playing compressed Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos (fake) out your soundbar, vs uncompressed True-HD 16 Channel 9.2.6 etc out demo room.     They are both 'Dolby Atmos'  🤪... Dolby marketing wins .. again.

hjason7812
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

This has been answered multiple times - maybe do a search on these forums or Google as to why - it is not an 'emby' issue.

Emby plays DV perfectly well - you simply need to know the limitations of your equipment and get a source that is compatible with it.

Same answer with Dolby Atmos actually - Only a small percentage of users actually have the equipment to properly play 'Dolby Atmos' - there is a rather large difference between playing compressed Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos (fake) out your soundbar, vs uncompressed True-HD 16 Channel 9.2.6 etc out demo room.     They are both 'Dolby Atmos'  🤪... Dolby marketing wins .. again.

What are you talking about?  Dolby vision and dolby atmos play on all 4k tv's smh stop trying to act like you know what's going on here when clearly you don't. 

I am ripping uhd's to put in my collection with make mkv it preserves all dv and da files because it touches nothing. And then use media info to make sure the files are still there within the movies and it is everytime. 

Out of around 100 uhd movies with dolby vision I have 2 that work on emby but all work elsewhere just fine , I find that very suspicious don't you obviously you don't because you wouldn't be here acting like everything is fine on your end of emby which we all know it isn't. Smh also  you have no idea what system I have in my house I have a $4,000 dolby atmos surround sound system that is dolby atmos dolby vision dolby vision + dolby vision iq and the list goes on and on. My TV is the same way. So don't act like everyone else has the same setup as you do because there's some that take pride in their sound and tv setups to watch the movies and tvshows on our servers that we rip. 

• Like 1

hjason7812
15 hours ago, bandit8623 said:

None of that actually matters.  you keep repeating this.  but it doesnt matter.

The fact is there are these files are in existence (and probably not going away).  All we need is a stance made by Emby and its staff.  If emby decides to not put in the time  to get this to work then fine! No big deal... Probably then should put a banner that says we dont support this file type.  Then the  consumer can make a decision on what they want to do.  

Consumers just want ANY media they have to play.  simple as that.  If it wont play then subs will have to make a decision to not download those files or go with another service.

It's funny that there's these types of people that are so hell bent on attacking people like us for emby acting like they know everything about our systems and our tv etc and then act like they know what the uhd's have on them that we have in our possession. Just because they have an itty-bitty sound system and tv that can't handle dolby vision and dolby atnos doesn't mean everyone does. This dude must not know how to pick out movies that have dolby vision on them or dolby atmos and thinks it's all fake. What really gets me is that every other program out there plays all the dolby vision and atmos movies fine says dolby vision top right corner when movies load up. But emby so far only 2 out of over 100 over my movies and tvshows have played in dolby vision on emby smh 

• Like 1

hjason7812
16 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

OK well if we take our uhd movies and shows and strip those files away and make them one cidec and leave everything in tact then emby should play dolby vision and atmos just fine. You rip uhd movies and shows with makemkv it leaves everything there you want there and makes the final file mkv. But all other media server programs play dolby vision just fine but not emby for some weird reason you need to jump through hoops to get it to work through the dlna server for emby with the exoplayer playing from outside emby. This is what we want looked into and fixed with emby the tv app doesn't work properly we shouldn't have to use other methods to get dolby vision to work on our media server. While other have it working just fine we paid for emby just like others did and the other media servers are paid as well so there's no excuse as to why emby can't do this properly. Either they have no idea how or they don't want to fix this at all  

RanmaCanada
1 hour ago, hjason7812 said:

What are you talking about?  Dolby vision and dolby atmos play on all 4k tv's smh stop trying to act like you know what's going on here when clearly you don't. 

I am ripping uhd's to put in my collection with make mkv it preserves all dv and da files because it touches nothing. And then use media info to make sure the files are still there within the movies and it is everytime. 

Out of around 100 uhd movies with dolby vision I have 2 that work on emby but all work elsewhere just fine , I find that very suspicious don't you obviously you don't because you wouldn't be here acting like everything is fine on your end of emby which we all know it isn't. Smh also  you have no idea what system I have in my house I have a $4,000 dolby atmos surround sound system that is dolby atmos dolby vision dolby vision + dolby vision iq and the list goes on and on. My TV is the same way. So don't act like everyone else has the same setup as you do because there's some that take pride in their sound and tv setups to watch the movies and tvshows on our servers that we rip. 

It's hilarious you think @rbjtechand myself have no idea what we are talking about, when here you are spewing lies.  DV is proprietary, and you need to pay a license fee to have it on your TV's.  Samsung, which is the creator of HDR10+, does NOT support DV in their TV's.  https://www.techradar.com/news/dolby-vision-on-samsung-tvs-why-isnt-it-supported

Again, educate yourself on what profiles there are, and what these profile playback limitations are.  There is so much ignorance in this thread with people thinking that their ignorance makes them right, it makes those of us who know what we are talking about want to reach through the screen and slap some sense into you.  Not all DV is the same, period.  

It's like having a technical discussion with a bunch of toddlers.  None of you have even done basic research and it's at the point where I know I will be adding more people to my ignore list because your willfull ignorance is so frustrating.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

rbjtech

Unsubscribed to this thread - simply not gonna waste any more time on people that don't want to help themselves.  

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

generiq
On 12/19/2023 at 6:40 PM, Audiomixer said:

No, only the 2019 shield will do DV.

I believe that the 2015 will tonemap DV.

bandit8623
On 1/28/2024 at 9:46 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  This isn't a bug from our or Exo's standpoint.  It is in the device firmware.  The only thing we and/or Exo could do is write some special code to try and work around the problem in the firmware.  I'm pretty confident Google will never do that for Exo so we would have to do it ourselves until the underlying issue is corrected.

ok its a problem that can be fixed :)

• 4 weeks later...
bandit8623

@ebris this dv support warning related to this?  if so its not working as playing dv on my 2015 shield doesnt say anything and still black screen.  

thanks

AndroidTv 2.1.07g

image.png.52779fb53bc2e8182e7754e4fc7b5ff6.png

Edited by bandit8623
added version

18 hours ago, bandit8623 said:

is this dv support warning related to this? 

No. That is unrelated to this issue which is as described above.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
bandit8623

just wanted to say thanks.

90% of the DV combo files now are playing on my 2015 shield and 4k fire stick.  i have 1 problematic 1 still but ill give it time.

THANKS

• Thanks 1