Suddenly cant fetch metadata or connect externally - TrueNas plugin

theBodega

theBodega

OK. 

I have had a stable system for some time, but I am an amateur coder/hobbyist/hack:

I am running:

Version 4.8.0.60 beta (i don't know why beta, I thought I was on stable)

on a TrueNAS-13.0-U6 NAS of my own design. 

Everything was fine until maybe 2 weeks ago? When I started noticing TWO problems. Probably related.

1) Newly added movies or episodes stopped fetching metadata. 

--Note - searching by URL also failed.  (error: "The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception."

--full logs attached, but relevant? :"InnerException: System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid because of errors in the certificate chain: UntrustedRoot"

-----note - my TrueNas default cert has not changed, and states this expiry "2032-12-06 20:39:37"

AND 

2) No longer can I access the server remotely. 

--Previously stable and often used at the grandparents house, including 2 weeks ago.

--I've looked into port forwarding etc on an ASUS ZenWIFI system (centurylink)

--It seems fine. Right this moment :image.png.b5137cdb59348ebb619662011db8599c.png

So---help?

I've run out of diagnostic steps I know how to do. 

Sure, this could be TrueNas. How do I tease out where the flaw is?

I am about to just install the stable in a new jail and see what's what, but that sounds painful.

Any ideas?

TIA

embyserver.txt

Regarding the outgoing SSL problem, has your system updated to Open SSL 3.0? If so then try rolling it back to Open SSL 1.1.

theBodega

Hello!

If I try - I just get no response - "This site can’t be reached ..took too long to respond."

In re: SSL - I am not sure, but I think I am not going to try that.

I spun up a new Jail with at the Stable version in it, and it seems to work fine in every way. So I am just going to migrate over to it. 

Maybe there is something in the Beta, or maybe my Jail just got gorked?

Anyway - is there an easy way to migrate user data (episodes watched, etc) from one version to a different version? I know the manual file-transfer way, but I also know that states you should have matching versions :(

It could be due to the OpenSSL package getting updated to 3.0 so that’s why I asked. I think you should check on that. 

regarding backup:

Configuration Backup

please let us know if this helps. thanks.

theBodega

Is the SSL a Jail-confined thing? If so - how do I check it?

If not - thats not it. The stable is working fine.

IN RE: backup - I cant use the plugin, my gorked instance wont load any new plugins.

I tried just dropping the dll into the plugins folder - but it never showed up. Is there a manual way to install a plugin?

Using manual backup - is there a trick when you dont have matching versions?

I tried a manual restoration- I restored config, data, root, and metadata from my Beta to Stable, but no joy. It wouldn't start up.

theBodega

Oh this backup thing is maybe a permissions problem. 

The folders are all matching (755), but the files look like they are 600 instead of 644

Do you know - are ALL the files 644? Can I do this in Bulk? Because there are 20,000 files. Doing them by hand is crazy.

All files 644, all Folders 755?

theBodega

I was referring to the manual backup procedure - the contents of "config, data, root, and metadata".

BUT - I managed to get the Backup plugin installed on my gorked installation (THAT was a permissions issue) - so I am going to try and migrate that way.

Unless you have any other ideas on how to fix my gorked install?

Its not the SSL version - it's still on 1.1

theBodega

OK for posterity- the Backup problem is solved, using the backup plugin. 

I was able to install it (the backup plugin) MANUALLY on my gorked Beta install by dropping the .dll into the plugins folder - then changing the permissions to 644

Then I restored the auto-created backup onto a new installation of the stable - I only brought in the users and userdata. I was scared to do anything else. BUT, since I store my metadata in folders everything else went pretty well. It was not flawless, but pretty good. 

Flaws - User pictures and Emby Connect data did NOT come through.

I never worked out why the gorged beta is gorked, but I intend to delete it soon, making it moot from my perspective.

Last question: When I log in from my TV or wherever - it still has ghost versions of servers that I tried out and deleted. Any way to fix this, or will it fix itself with cache purges?

Edited by theBodega

Last question: When I log in from my TV or wherever - it still has ghost versions of servers that I tried out and deleted. Any way to fix this, or will it fix itself with cache purges?

Hi, you need to delete these from the TV app or "wherever". You may have uninstalled and deleted them, but there's no way for Emby to know that, so that's why you need to clean it up manually.

So is the new install still having the ssl problem or no?

theBodega

Ok will do!

And the new install is flawless. 

Both problems fixed.

I blame gremlins

Edited by theBodega
  • Thanks 1