ATV app won't show subtitles in recorded media (TS files)

justinrh

justinrh

The title says it all.  I record a TV program, play it and when I toggle on subtitles I get 'unable to load subtitles' msg.  Converting to MKV does not help, for the record.

The web app has no problem with TS files.

embyserver.txt

Edited by justinrh

Hi.  There is a certain flavor of closed captions that Exoplayer simply doesn't recognize.  We are still looking into this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, justinrh said:

2 weeks later you ask?  I suppose it is.  Why do yo think it wouldn't be?

You posted this in the android tv section, but the log file is from Firefox, so right now it's unclear what we're looking at.

justinrh

Hmm.  Maybe I got this thread confused with the other subtitle thread I created.  My apologies.

No FFmpeg log is created when using ATV.

justinrh

I installed 3.3.57.  After I finally figured out how to toggle on subtitles while playing the video (UI is really weird!), they did not display, but I did get FFmpeg logs.

Still, the video quality is terrible!

ffmpeg-transcode-e88db301-4bf9-4082-8b88-17289fe81ac8_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-1079d2ee-3739-40eb-9cd4-0a123f6f931f_1.txtembyserver.txtffmpeg-transcode-fe830e1a-749d-4786-ab84-876a3d7ceb58_1.txt

Can you try disabling hardware transcoding and see how that compares? Next, try setting the playback quality to auto so that it can direct play and see how that compares. Please provide the results of those. Thanks.

justinrh

I didn't know which app you wanted me to use, so I used the std app.  I tried setting quality to Auto first (the value was null), then I tried with transcoding off.
Still no subtitles.

embyserver.txt

justinrh
Posted (edited)

OH. MY. GOSH.  Transcoding was not turned off for the above test because you have to poke Save at the bottom of the page!  Why are not all the pages the same?   Some you just hit the back arrow and the setting is saved.  (Yes, I forgot about it since I haven't had to change anything in forever.  There is no clue you need to scroll down below the line and Save.)

Anyway, here is a new log with transcoding off.  Though, what's weird is there were no FFmpeg logs from the previous test.  There's another bug for ya.

embyserver.txt

BTW, I'm not ignoring your UI question, Luke, I just want to resolve this issue before getting sidetracked.

Edited by justinrh

14 hours ago, justinrh said:

then I tried with transcoding off

When you say that, exactly what do you mean?  What did you turn off?

justinrh
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ebr said:

What did you turn off?

Transcoding?  This is the only thing I know of Luke would be referring to:
image.png

And it was the wrong thing ...

Edited by justinrh
showing my mistake

Anyway, here is a new log with transcoding off.  Though, what's weird is there were no FFmpeg logs from the previous test.  There's another bug for ya.

There's no bug about that. If ffmpeg isn't used, then there wont' be an ffmpeg log.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Transcoding?  This is the only thing I know of Luke would be referring to:
image.png

Just to clarify, this isn't turning off transcoding. This is turning off hardware acceleration.

justinrh
Posted (edited)

Well, then help out a dunce.  How do I turn off transcoding?  Is it on the client side?  I don't see any other toggles on the Transcoding page.

Edited by justinrh

You don't need to do that. That was never asked. You found the right thing, you just misinterpreted what it does.

justinrh
Posted (edited)

Luke, I'm trying to do what you asked and I screwed up the transcode request, so I'm asking for help how to do it.  Can you please answer that?  Yes, I understand now what I did was wrong.

Edited by justinrh

16 hours ago, justinrh said:

Luke, I'm trying to do what you asked and I screwed up the transcode request, so I'm asking for help how to do it.  Can you please answer that?  Yes, I understand now what I did was wrong.

What he's saying is what you did was correct.  He requested that you test with hardware transcoding disabled and you did that.

justinrh

Oh, whew!  I really got confused.  Sorry.  Thanks for the clarification.

So we have seen cases where exoplayer does not detect the closed captions of mpegts files & streams.

Can you please try sideloading the latest build:

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Then can you obtain an android app log by following the instructions here:

Thanks.