Incorrect IP address after router reset

66LUX
Go to solution Solved by justinrh,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but this issue is across my NAS, Windows and the Android TV app.

I recently needed to reset my router to factory and my Asus router assigned a different IP address to my Synology NAS. It has gone from 192.168.1.19 to 192.168.1.251

In the web portal, I just used http://192.168.1.251:8096/web/index.html and the home page loads fine, but when I tried to play a video file, I just get a swirling circle symbol and nothing plays. The same happens with the Emby app on my NVidia Shield Pro.

I looked in the logs and found the entry for the file I had tried to play and in the error report, it says "Failed to connect: 0.0.0.0<00>/192.168.1.19", so it's still trying to connect to 19 instead of 251.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the server on the NAS and the app on my Android TV, but doing so doesn't reset the IP that Emby is looking for. 

Is there a way to rectify this problem without having to set a static IP for the NAS?

embyserverlog.txt

justinrh

You could assign the NAS the old IP address in the router.  I presume you rebooted the NAS.

Did you set your libraries to point to net shares using the IP address, e.g., \\192.168.1.19\media ?

This is a curious set of addresses:

2023-12-14 08:20:12.155 Debug NetworkManager: Detected local ip addresses: 10.8.2.6, 10.8.0.9, 192.168.1.19, 127.0.0.1, 10.8.3.9, fe80::211:32ff:fe79:a48d%3, ::1

Can you play media if your remote into the NAS and use the web app (if your NAS has that capability)?

Edited by justinrh

3 minutes ago, justinrh said:

You could assign the NAS the old IP address in the router.

Did you set your libraries to point to net shares using the IP address, e.g., \\192.168.1.19\media ?

I was asking how to do it without setting a static IP, but maybe that's what I had before the router reset. I really don't remember as it's been untouched for years. I didn't think to export the router settings before I reset it.

Yes, the libraries point to that address, but I can't see a way to change it. Would it mean recreating the libraries with the new IP address and then deleting the old libraries?

I was hoping for something a bit more straightforward.

• Solution
justinrh

I just went into the library admin pages and it looks like the folder can't be changed (though the "(Optional) Shared network folder" can be, might be worth a try).

I'd suggest using a static IP address for the server, and I'd suggest using the server's host name or local mount location to define libraries, so situations like this don't disrupt service.  Even an unintentional router reboot could result in a new IP address to be assigned.

Hopefully someone knows of a faster, less intrusive way for you to recover.

Edited by justinrh

The address is still correct in the sense that it's using the ip address that you provided in Emby library setup. It sounds like you just forgot to update it after the NAS ip address had changed.

I think he's right that giving it a static IP address in the browser is the best approach. Then you won't have to update library setup.

36 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I just went into the library admin pages and it looks like the folder can't be changed (though the "(Optional) Shared network folder" can be, might be worth a try).

I'd suggest using a static IP address for the server, and I'd suggest using the server's host name or local mount location to define libraries, so situations like this don't disrupt service.  Even an unintentional router reboot could result in a new IP address to be assigned.

Hopefully someone knows of a faster, less intrusive way for you to recover.

I set a static IP for the NAS in the router and rebooted router and NAS. It all connects now.

I'll have a look at other options for host and client naming, but if I can't even get it to see a new IP address, maybe this is my best option. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

justinrh
On 12/13/2023 at 7:16 PM, Luke said:

It sounds like you just forgot to update it

So @Lukeis there a way to modify the library folder paths besides delete and re-add with the new path?

2 hours ago, justinrh said:

So @Lukeis there a way to modify the library folder paths besides delete and re-add with the new path?

No. not yet at least.