Music Folder Setup and artist nfo files

linesma
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I am in the process of converting my Kodi setup from using its internal database to using Emby. I would just like to confirm a couple of things before I do some of the needed folder changes for this conversion.

1. For music files, is this the folder and data structure I need to use if I have local artwork and an nfo file?

\Music
    \Artist Name
       backdrop.ext
       backdrop1.ext
       backdrop2.ext
       backdrop3.ext
       artist.nfo
         \Album Name
            01 Song.mp3
            02 Song.mp3

2. What is the name I should use for the nfo file for the artist? Currently I am using artist.nfo. Is this okay?

3. This is what I currently have in the artist.nfo file. Will this work with Emby?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<artist>
    <name>Supertramp</name>
    <musicBrainzArtistID>d2ff6b6b-fc30-48dc-8952-06f9d8fc64f8</musicBrainzArtistID>
    <sortname></sortname>
    <type>Group</type>
    <gender>Male</gender>
    <disambiguation></disambiguation>
    <genre>Rock</genre>
    <style>Rock/Pop</style>
    <mood>Energetic</mood>
    <born>1969</born>
    <formed>1969</formed>
    <biography>Supertramp were a British rock band that formed in London in 1970. They experienced their greatest global success in 1979 with their sixth album Breakfast in America. Marked by the individual songwriting of founders Roger Hodgson (vocals, keyboards and guitars) and Rick Davies (vocals and keyboards), the group were distinguished for blending progressive rock and pop styles as well as for a sound that relied heavily on Wurlitzer electric piano. The group's lineup changed numerous times throughout their career, with Davies being the only constant member throughout its history. The classic lineup, which lasted ten years from 1973 to 1983, comprised Davies, Hodgson, Dougie Thomson (bass), Bob Siebenberg (drums) and John Helliwell (saxophone).</biography>
    <died></died>
    <disbanded></disbanded>
</artist>

Thank you very much for your time.

Mark

• Solution

HI, yes that structure is right, but currently artist and album nfo files are only written by Emby Server, not read in.  Support for this is planned for future updates.

Also make sure to configure the music folder structure option in library setup so that your local images will be used.

14 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, yes that structure is right, but currently artist and album nfo files are only written by Emby Server, not read in.  Support for this is planned for future updates.

Even with the nfo metadata plugin installed? If so, I hope the reading of nfo files for music will be added soon.

I use the nfo files because I have several artists that never get scraped properly. Without the nfo files, is there a way to then correct what is scraped manually?

Thank you very much for the reply, I do appreciate it.

Edited by linesma
clarity

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 4:24 AM, linesma said:

Even with the nfo metadata plugin installed?

For albums and artists, yet. It's something we plan to restore in future updates.

Without the nfo files, is there a way to then correct what is scraped manually?

Beforehand, having your audio files tagged with musicbrainz values will help a lot.