Having to reinstall FireTV app

Locutus64

Locutus64

In the past two weeks I have had to uninstall the Fire TV app for Emby and reinstall it to get it to work. I would launch it and have nothing but a black screen. I'm no issue with any other app installed on the TV. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with the app? Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Emby-for-Fire-TV/dp/B00VVJKTW8/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=emby&qid=1702234762&s=mobile-apps&sr=1-2

Yes, please try that other app but, with the app you are having an issue with, I'm sure you don't have to uninstall and reinstall.  Just try force closing it.

Locutus64
46 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes, please try that other app but, with the app you are having an issue with, I'm sure you don't have to uninstall and reinstall.  Just try force closing it.

My bad should of mentioned that the first time it didn't load I did a forced close on it with no luck.

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

And a good tut on side loading for Fire TV? Thanks

Few ways (ADB, Downloader, SFtT), personally find SendFilesToTV to be most streamlined/easiest (you can install it both on your PC and mobile phone) for sideloading to both my Shields and FireTV devices. YMMV though. 

Locutus64

I found this. What do you think?

https://support.surfshark.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011729240-How-to-sideload-apps-on-a-Firestick#h_01ENKVR0PAKCJKMZVHWBXGECFG

By rights I should be able to type the below into the one field and be good to go. Please let me know if you see any issues with this method. Thanks

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/raw/master/android/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk

GrimReaper

Sure, as said:

45 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Few ways (ADB, Downloader, SFtT)

Whatever works best for you. 

Locutus64

Thanks now what about updates? I don't care if it auto-updates once installed or if I have to manually add any new APK. Just would like to know in advance which I'll have to do.

Edited by Locutus64

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

Thanks now what about updates? I don't care if it auto-updates once installed or if I have to manually add any new APK. Just would like to know in advance which I'll have to do.

Latter, until standard app gets into the store. 

• Like 1

Locutus64

Thanks, guys much appreciated. Settings for the TV are a bit different than the tut, but easy enough to figure out since I always do debugging on my phone. The APK is installed and we are watching the latest episode of Vigil in Emby now. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Locutus64

Do we have a thread for issues / missing features for the APK? I ask cause there is no going to the next episode automatically and one has to keep pressing the fast-forward button. 

Edited by Locutus64

5 hours ago, Locutus64 said:

And a good tut on side loading for Fire TV? Thanks

FYI and for other readers, there was a link to sideloading instructions in the original message Luke posted.

18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Locutus64
5 hours ago, Locutus64 said:

@ALD76As soon as my roommate is done watching S02E03 of Vigil I plan to go into the settings and have a look. Thanks

OK I went through the settings and it's already checked, so I don't know why we weren't offed the next episode.

19 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

OK I went through the settings and it's already checked, so I don't know why we weren't offed the next episode.

HI, what setting did you check?

Locutus64

I went into Emby's settings and found the Play next episode check box and it was already checked. I unchecked it, exited Emby, restarted the Fire TV, went back in to Emby and checked the box again. Haven't tested yet to see if toggling it off and on worked or not.

Locutus64

Update:

Yesterday the app you guys had me sideload went black just before playback 3 times. Each time I had to restart the Fire TV to get the app to behave. After the 3rd time I switched back to the version that is in the store and it behaved just fine. This seems to be an issue in these apps cause I do not and have not seen this behavior in any other app I've added to the TV.

6 hours ago, Locutus64 said:

Update:

Yesterday the app you guys had me sideload went black just before playback 3 times. Each time I had to restart the Fire TV to get the app to behave. After the 3rd time I switched back to the version that is in the store and it behaved just fine. This seems to be an issue in these apps cause I do not and have not seen this behavior in any other app I've added to the TV.

When exactly did it go black? What version number?