Roku devices will no longer open Emby

dejavux2

dejavux2

My Roku devices will no longer open Emby.  It tells me that the Server needs to be updated.

I cannot update the server.  I am on 4.7.2.0 an cannot move forward because we (along with others) are still using WMC. and we were told not to update past 4.7.2.0.

Can you please make the Roku Emby backwards compatible again.  If we are told that we cannot update, then please make sure the apps are backward compatible.

Thank you.

Gilgamesh_48

Why on earth, or any other arbitrary chunk of rock,  would it be good for Emby to support old outdated systems? I understand the desire to not have things change but, in this universe, we are defined by change.

My suggestion is to take whatever steps are needed to make sure you are running the latest software all across the board. 

However, directed at Emby: Please do not spend a lot of resources making Emby work with antiquated software or hardware. It is best to keep your sights trained forward. Do not abandon supported software/hardware but feel free to stop supporting anything that is no longer supported.

dejavux2

I am asking that the Roku app be backward compatible with Emby server versions.....  not with WMC.  Right now, I cannot open Emby on any Roku devices.

Gilgamesh_48
5 minutes ago, dejavux2 said:

I am asking that the Roku app be backward compatible with Emby server versions.....  not with WMC.  Right now, I cannot open Emby on any Roku devices.

That is also something that Emby should NOT do. Being backward compatible might be good BUT it is up to the user to keep hardware and software up to date and if Emby is not compatible with WMC and WMC is outdated then Emby should not try to cover all bases. 

I live in fear that Emby will not continue to support Windows 10  but I know that when EOL comes for Windows 10 it would be totally wrong for me to expect Emby to continue to support Windows 10. It is something I can hope for but not expect. 

Trying to support every out of date software or hardware configuration is wrong headed and has driven several companies out of business in the past.

It might be easier to find a replacement for WMC than to try to get Emby to stay in the past. 

dejavux2

There is no replacement for WMC with CableCard, 4 tuners and DRM.

Is it possible for me to have 2 Emby servers running on two different machines?

The current one will stay on 4.7.2.0 and serve the WMC devices.

The second one will be on auto-update to latest stable, and serve the Roku devices?

If this is possible, am I able to take a backup of the current server to update the new server?

Thanks, in advance.

Edited by dejavux2
spelling

Gilgamesh_48
3 minutes ago, dejavux2 said:

There is no replacement for WMC with CableCard, 4 tuners and DRM.

The current one will stay on 4.7.2.0 and serve the WMC devices.

The second one will be on auto-update to latest stable, and serve the Roku devices?

If this is possible, am I able to take a backup of the current server to update the new server?

Thanks, in advance.

Having two or three or four or ... servers is perfectly OK. I would NOT try to use any backup to get started. I would simply install a new server, Define the libraries, define the users, and generally get things working and then use the backup/restore utility to sync up watched states.

I run two identical servers and it causes no problem but I do NOT use live TV and I do NOT have multiple users. There are others here that can help you with the parts I cannot help with.

With complex systems every install is complex so do not expect everything to go perfectly but things should be pretty straight forward.

dejavux2

I do not use the Live TV, either.  WMC takes care of that.  WMC is still running perfectly with no issues.  WMC also has Emby for WMC installed, and that has been running perfectly as well since I stopped the updates at 4.7.2.0 (as told).

I do have 4 users on my Emby server, though.

I will try this.

Install on second machine. 

Define the Users and define the Libraries.

Once these are done, I will try the backup/restore.

Thank you.

Gilgamesh_48

Be sure you do NOT restore everything. I just use restore to sync up watched sates and I do nearly everything else on the server it needs doing on.

The reason you do not want to restore everything is that there are many places, it seems, where drive letters are used and it is very hard to make every drive letter match.

Also, until you are sure that everything is right, make sure you have a viable copy of Emby's database before you restore anything.

pwhodges
8 hours ago, dejavux2 said:

You can have them on the same machine, even - just set different ports in the network settings (you'll have to stop the first server while installing the second, as you can't change the ports in advance, I don't think).

Paul