Grid view

Bingie

I have a similar problem, may be related to the last update.

When scrolling thru movies library or tv shows library, I used to have 2 rows of icons to scroll thru, but now it's broken.

Now it gives one row centered on the screen, and two half rows, above and below it.

If this change had been made years ago, before I got used to the old way, maybe I wouldn't mind.  But now, no change is welcome.  Definitely want the old way back, it's driving me crazy.

Thanks

Hi.  Due to the new options for image size, this is how it must be laid out.  You can try making the images smaller and see if you like that better.

@ebror I can roll back to an older version, and stop all future updates

My mom is 83, she hates change, she hates the new interface.  She doesn't want to watch tv anymore.  Creating a really big problem here.

Edited by Bingie

Did you try any of the image size options to see if she likes that better?

I'm not really sure you can rollback or stop updates on a Roku device.

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, ebr said:

I'm not really sure you can rollback or stop updates on a Roku device.

There are ways to block updates on a more or less temporary basis. I have never heard of anyone blocking updates (successfully) and retaining anything more than the most basic functionality. 

I do not recommend even trying to block Roku updates. There are simply too many things that can go wrong when access to updates is not allowed. 

It appears that Roku is still experimenting with their home screen options and several on screen main menu options have come and gone over the last few weeks but, except for a brief time, every one of the intrusive options are able to be turned off from the Roku settings. 

It is well for everyone to remember that the Roku device is owned by Roku and they only give us the right to use it and they have the right to change anything they want in the main screen. Much of what Roku has done in recent times is repugnant to me but, so far, I have been able to set up my Rokus where nothing that Roku has done really impacts me much.

This is one of the main reasons that I have multiple clients. If one client does something, almost anything, I really don't like I can use one of the others.

If someone wants a client the stays almost completely out of the way,  as far as ads or other commercials go, then a pure Android device or a computer browser is the best way to go. But, so far, My Roku is not so intrusive as to make me want to go elsewhere.

dev.thumb.jpg.fcf6cbce5c99e9dcd683724463a164e7.jpg

dev.thumb.jpg.5736b9b9c909d255a0ef5f9202aa5162.jpg

The reason for the change is the grid can now be fully customized. You can choose an image size you prefer, enable or disable fields, or change the view easily with the three dot menu. You actually have 3 rows with the new grid. The old grid only ever had 2. With the ability to show 3 rows it became necessary to center the focused row to keep it on the screen.

What do you find so bad about the new grid style?

On 12/9/2023 at 3:23 PM, speechles said:

What do you find so bad about the new grid style?

Hi, it's not a question of good or bad, it's a change, and humans are creatures of habit, nobody likes change, especially senior citizens.

On 12/9/2023 at 12:06 PM, ebr said:

Thanks, yes, we did try some settings, and after quite a bit of teeth gnashing, we settled on something as close as possible to the way it used to be.

On 12/9/2023 at 1:25 PM, Gilgamesh_48 said:

But, so far, My Roku is not so intrusive as to make me want to go elsewhere.

Once again, Roku pissing me off, changing our home screen, adding crap we don't want, and can't turn it off.  Time to re-evaluate all the other options.

I just noticed the new Kodi/OSMC/Vera V started shipping, but one look at all the unanswered help questions on the kodi forums cured me from considering that option :P

Here we go again...

Gilgamesh_48
18 hours ago, Bingie said:

Once again, Roku pissing me off, changing our home screen, adding crap we don't want, and can't turn it off.  Time to re-evaluate all the other options.

Roku can be both one of the most intrusive companies as well as one of the most responsive companies to customer's requests/complaints.

I noticed they have redesigned the home screen once again and I now have the ability to turn off the "new" stuff on the home screen. Under home screen settings all of the crap can now be toggled off. 
This kind of delayed but good response to changes and customer requests is why I generally stay with Roku for my streaming needs (I do have several other streamers that I can use if needed.) They do, from time to time, really make stupid moves but, generally, they also react favorably if they see enough negative reactions to changes. Their betas use to iron out most of the really stupid moves but they drove most of the better testers out of the program and now the betas only resolve operational flaws and stupid design choices get reserved for the general releases. That is their entire user base is their beta testers for bad general design choices.

Roku is still, for me, the best streamer available. While it has some periodic flaws generally, when the release is thoroughly tested by the user base, it becomes both stable and quite useable.

Of course my use case is very specific for me and it might be unsuited for others. That is why there are so many choices in streaming devices. 

The only place Roku really falls short is that their interface is somewhat hard to program for and a few, important to me, systems have no Roku interface at all. One example is CH-DVR. I keep at least two additional streamers available so I am covered for all my needs. (BTW: I am convinced that CH_DVR is lying in that there is NOTHING in their system that truly cannot be made to work on the Roku. They just do not have programmers that can program well in the Roku environment.)  

I can, although I usually don't bother, even use Emby as my CH-DVR interface by simply setting up Emby to use an M3U link to allow CH-DVR to act as a tuner. 

In this case my Roku now looks and behaves exactly as it did before the new crap got added. There is just some new entries in settings that have to be turned off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Roku is still, for me, the best streamer available.

Same here, it is by far the cleanest, least intrusive, and is extremely reliable.

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

even use Emby as my CH-DVR interface by simply setting up Emby to use an M3U link to allow CH-DVR to act as a tuner

I tried all that, and gave up and just pay the money for the DirecTV app/service, which is extremely fast, the quality is excellent, and like Roku, is reliable.  Can't record to emby, but does record to cloud for free, so that's good enough for me.  Can always d/l things I want to add to our collection.