My experience with Raspberry PI 5

reneboulard

reneboulard

I have been recording TV shows and films Over the Air since 2010.  My library if over 10,000 files. I have been using emby-server with the raspberry pi 4b since 2019.  I have two of those server been use as personal video recorder with HDHomerun Extend tuners.  I used the HDHomerun Extend to transcode the stream to H264, since transcoding could not be properly done real time on the raspberry pi.  The servers are responsive, able to watch a show while it is been recorded and fast forward commercial.  It can steam multiple files at the same time if no transcoding is required. Postprocessing is done remuxing the ts file to mp4 and running comskip for commercial detection.  I use 2tb USB3 HDD.  The servers are in different city in North America so the use a wireguard mesh network between the servers to have access to each other library and HDHomerun tuners.

I got a raspberry pi 5 2 weeks ago.  Quickly installed emby server on it.  The server can software transcode 2 HD streams at the same time, this is a major improvement.  I still use 2tb USB3 HDD with it,  but a M.2 Hat is coming and it will be able to use a NVMe SSD.  I was able to record 4 HD show at the same time with a HDHomerun quatro while watching one of them.  The pi 5 make for a very low cost and efficient embyserver for personnal use.

I will be upgrading the raspberry pi 4 servers to the raspberry pi 5.

Hope this help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2