Subtitles not workings if direct play?

cloud7
Go to solution Solved by cloud7,

I have several shows with built in subtitles rather than external subtitle files. I'm using the Emby Roku app to play these titles. I've noticed that when a file is direct play, I can select subtitles but the subtitles never actually appear.

I understand PGS subtitles will trigger transcoding so they can be burned in. I'm fine with that however it seems there is no option to prefer that over direct play. It seems since the Roku is capable of direct playing these titles that is what Emby has selected but when that happens, transcoding is never triggered when you select subtitles.

Is there a preference to force transcoding if you choose a PGS subtitle? Basically all of my shows have PGS titles so I'd really like to figure out how I can get them to burn in despite these instances where direct play is possible with them turned off. Alternatively maybe there is a program to extract them and make SRT files? I could do that if something is available but I'd prefer to just force transcoding since it's a quicker fix for now.

I'm using the latest Emby beta server version on Unraid in the official docker container from the Unraid app area.

Edited by cloud7
Added server info

That does sound the same. This post in particular from rotational467 about PGS matches my issue.

I didn't know about that burning-in of SSA/ASS subtitles option in the Roku app. I enabled it and tried playing the same titles again with subtitles selected.  Unfortunately they still won't appear and the "stats for nerds" reports direct play.

Edited by cloud7

Apologies. The Roku has rudimentary support for ASS/SSA subtitles directly and will have all formatting/tagging removed when displayed. Sometimes the Roku will remove everything including all the text and not just the format/tags. To fix this you can try using the "Attempt Playback Correction" button. Each time will allow you to change playback method from (DirectPlay->Remux/DirectStream->Transcoding) so the subtitles should show after that. You can use the Playback Correction multiple times.

The ASS/SSA are text files with format/tags embedded. Most players can process these formatting tags and change position, or fonts/colors and other things. The Roku cannot. It will treat ASS/SSA as text files and scrub any format/tags out. PGS subtitles will cause transcoding automatically on the Roku. Any graphical subs must be burned into the video when selected and used with the Roku.

Edited by speechles

Is there anything more compatible than the Roku yet not a laptop? I'd be fine swapping devices if there's something better than the Roku.

The Roku is the easiest way I've found to get surround sound and Dolby Vision/HDR working. Plus the interface is quicker to use than a mouse/keyboard with a laptop+hdmi cable. Maybe there is another device with more full featured subtitles. I know my laptop with web browser or the Emby desktop app works fine with these titles that cause the Roku to hide the subtitles.

Edited by cloud7

Pressing attempt playback fix twice does make the subtitles appear but I have to do that each time a new episode plays. Is there an option to set the preference per folder or similar?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

I got this issue resolved by swapping to the nvidia shield pro. I think all my issues were due to the Roku having more limited codec and subtitle support than I thought it did when I got it. The final issue that made me swap was finding that DD truehd was not something the ROku could handle. I should have looked at the Roku specs more carefully.

• Thanks 1